AMP/DAC for Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
Apr 10, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #91 of 115
  I just bought the Bottlehead Crack and I think it pairs really nicely with it. It gives the sound that I was missing when I used the magi/modi combo. I would really suggest getting the Bottlehead Crack. To me, it kinds tames the tremble a bit. But that might just be all in my head. 

I find EQing 5900hz down 8bd at a Q of 4 tames the treble to my ears using my idsd micro, it also appeared to do so when I briefly tried an odac+o2
while I'm on the subject I also   +2db at 2500hz Q 4   and +3db at 44hz Q 1, but they're more taste choices and could be done without if the '6k spike' didn't have me EQing in the first place

May 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #92 of 115
Trying to decide between the following five choices for amp/DAC for a HD 700.  I listen on a PC, mostly to Spotify Premium but also some CD's. 

Modi 2/ Magni 2
Modi 2/ Vali
JDSlabs O2+ODAC combo
SoundBlaster ZxR Soundcard
ASUS Xonar

There's something appealing about just having a soundcard since I'm using these exclusively with my PC.  However, I like the idea of the Schiit stack too as I could use them on my computer at work if/when I upgrade my computer at home.  At the office I'm using an AKG 7xx and an FiiO e10k.  And I hear the 7xx works well with any of the amp/DAC's I listed above.

Would love any thoughts, especially about the soundcard option. 

May 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #93 of 115
So I have the HD700 and I have used the Modi/Magni combo (1st generation) I recently got the Bottlehead crack and I would really suggest that one. It involves vacuum tubes but the sound that comes out of it sounds WAY better than solid slates in my opinion. But then again, I felt like the Modi/Magni combo lacked a certain warmth that tube amps give. 

As for soundcard, If it's a good quality one that has a pretty good DAC then I think it should be good enough since you are only streaming spotify. 

May 16, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #95 of 115
I think you would be nuts to own HD700 and use the line out from a sound card... a good dac is only $100

The way I understand it, those two sound cards have integrated amps and are professional grade. A modi/magni combination is around $200. These cards are about the same. But I never see them mentioned here so I don't know exactly how they'd compare to a dedicated component.

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #96 of 115
BUMP!

Sorry to jump in guys, but I am looking for some advice.
I have the HD700 and I am looking for a reasonably prices amp to connect to my AK240 (so no DAC combo...), AK240>amp>HD700.

Preferably <500$ :).

I was looking at the Schiit models, they seem nice but as I normally use IEMS, the whole amping game is quite new to me...

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #99 of 115
DIY, not sure haha!
I'd rather throw money in some direction and get something with an electrical plug back! :)

If there is no risk, as in short-circuit'ing the whole thingy, it might be an option if there are some considerable benefits when looking at DIY.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #100 of 115
Well the bottlehead crack is a kit that you get and it comes with everything you need to build an amp. It has an extremely good manual that tells you step by step how to build it. It requires you to solder wires/resistors so if that's a no go for you then we'd have to find another option.

But I would like to point out that many people who built it are first timers, including me and I loved it. It was very fun and relaxing. The downside is they are a small company so they fill orders slowly. Expect a 4 week ish wait for it to come. I believe it's worth it though. I feel that it really complements the HD 700.

Also, I think many people have said that the crack is very comparable to amps that are much much more expensive in terms of driving high impedance headphones. For me it really toned down the high treble that the 700 was notorious for.

At least for me, I would suggest something that is tubed based for HD700s if you don't want the crack. I feel that the sounds are much more lively than other amps. But that's how I like it.

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #102 of 115
Hey guys. I'm kind of new to the whole audiophile thing although I've been involved in music and composition all my life and electronic music production for the last 4-5 years. I've recently bought HD 700s and didn't even know I had to use amps with them, I can easily be considered a newbie. Plus the genre of electronic music I'm dealing with is techno, a bass heavy genre. It didn't take me a long while to understand that the HD 700 is a flat response headphone. Although this is just what I read from Head-Fi. I have not yet had the time of trying my 700's with any audio interface/DAC. I also know that I shouldn't be mixing with too much bass or else it'll trick me. So I'm asking you guys this question, especially to those who have more experience in this field, should I give up on my HD 700s since I'm dealing with techno, or could I find an amp that'll brighten things up for me. Right now I'm listening to my HD 700s through my laptop and it gives a really dissatisfying low volume and low impact. I have a Scarlett 2i4 back at home; but I'll be returning there late august and I have to complete some tracks before that. I don't necessarily need a portable amp either. Anything that's portable enough to fit in a big backpack is fine. I've got recommendations from a fellow friendly user that he had the same problem with his HD 700s and he bought a ZO amp and it really amped it up and gave it the bass gain it needed (it has an EQ and all). I'm not sure if that's healthy considering mixing. The new Apogee Groove also has some really darn good comments on Head-Fi; but I think it lacks an EQ. I'm really confused, anyone land a hand? Much appreciated.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #103 of 115
I would strongly recommend against mixing with the 700's. Bright headphones ime lead to muddy, bass heavy mixes. So your friend adding bass gain was actually a good idea. 

Ideally you want headphones with the highs slightly rolled off. My personal favorites are the Marshall Monitors and they won't break the bank (about $129), although Alpha Dogs are very close. Alpha Dogs have slightly rolled off highs in the stock configuration and you can also tune the bass with an included allen wrench to give them a bass boost. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #105 of 115
I will be buying my first audiophile headphones soon. I am new to all this so I need some advice.
I want to listen to music and movies all on my pc.
Im in the US and my budget is around $800
Also gaming on ps4 but I already have the Senn Game One for that.
I am considering the Sennheiser HD 650, I've read lots of good reviews about them.
Also considering Schiit magni and modi.
How is this setup for music and movie on pc ?
If I get the sound blasterx g5 , can I use it with Schiit and HD 650 ?
Will this improve sound for movies ?
Im getting the G5 for gaming but I want to see if its good for watching movies in surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back