AMP/DAC for Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #76 of 115
Which one of the combo's do you think is best for the HD700s? I heard that the O2+ODAC kills some other combo's that are even €1000+

Great headphone the HD700. Like you I fell in love with them within a few seconds. Although I do find them a bit bass lite and use the EQ to boost the bass a few dB.

I use an Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di DAC/amp for my HD700's which works really well.* It's a totally transparent ultra low distortion DAC/amp which is easily able to drive the HD700 without breaking a sweat. The build quality and aesthetics aren't as good as some of the more expensive amps but it's still ok for the price.

The HD700 are very easy to drive headphones though. When I'm not at my computer I regularly use them plugged straight into a Sony MP3 player without an amp and they sound just as good.

* You'll need a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter with the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di amplifier. Sennheiser make their own very good quality ones which are a sensible price.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #77 of 115
Howdy, First time poster long time reader. This community is excellent :] So thank you!

Apartment living - can't rock much noise overall as a heads up. Take that into account, 

I was looking for a entry DAC [I don't know what I am doing to be super clear] for my Sennheiser HD700s. Eventually I will move to HD800s + HDVD800 [maybe?] but wanted to at least give impressions on HD700 and BDP-105D near term in the event that it is a useful data point for anyone. 

For audio I just wired up the BDP-105D tonight + HD700 and have listened to Pink Floyd Immersion: Dark Side of the Moon, Immerson: Wish You Were Here (both 2011 5.1 and legacy Alan Parsons Quadrophonic mixes), Rush 5.1 2112 as well as 5.1 Moving Pictures remaster. It is fairly astounding [!!] the quality here. Subjective statements aside - I want to love 5.1 Floyd but those Parsons Quads are amazing mixes :] I recon they are somehow better than the 5.1 in my eyes [or ears] but maybe that is the handful of seconds which were actually different than the original stereo? Who knows?. Amazing. Both simply incredible. I digress! 

Miles Davis Complete Jack Johnson and Complete Silent Way sessions are - well - yeah. Wow! The greatest things ever. Also gold CD remaster of Kind of Blue - yikes- please be more awesome! They work well and I wish I could not go back to work and just listen them for eternity or something. /sigh 

I have been reading others' excellent posts on this forum but I just wanted to hit this because maybe someone is on the market for this exact setup? Bass heads need not apply here is my impression - bass is solid but not overdone at all. The clarity and precision is super impressive, but the listening is balanced. Alomst zero background noise on all recordings. I had been using a Fiio E17 Alpen as my starter kit for my HD700s as I didn't know where to begin to be honest so I grabbed the Oppo on a whim this week. And holy cow it was a good move!

I snagged HD700s because they were supposed to be 'warmer' than 800s and I trend that way: warm>precision. But I like these and will be ordering HD800s as a side project soon. I will hopefully update as this rolls out. And as I test movies and external files. I don't know - if folks have interest yell and i will post impressions as I have a lot of movies and such. 

General: The BDP-105D is a definite plus for my hd700s. Reference levels: Rush 2112 5.1 is pretty loud at 67 out of 100. Subjective yes, but I have yet to want to push it really high to get a volume I am comfy with.

//murph 

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #78 of 115
So, now, after quite a while, I finally got the HD700's and O2+ODAC. It's just so awesome!!! When I tried it for the first time with my own music I fell in love with it again!!! I'm happy with my first small audiophile setup.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #81 of 115
I am going to jump on a pair of HD700 for sale locally. I want to keep and use my Creative Titanium HD as a DAC and get maybe a O2 amp or a magni 2 for an amp? What do you guys think of this type of setup and also these amps for a starter for the HD700?

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #82 of 115
  For anyone still reading this, I have the HD 700 with Magi/Modi combo. I would not suggest this as I don't feel like it drives the 700's to their full potential. 

The HD 700 only needs 32 mW at 50 ohms to reach 120 dB, which is insanely loud and would only matter for dynamic peaks. For 110 dB, it only needs 3 mW. The Magni outputs 1 watt (that's 1,000 mW) at 50 ohms. It has far more than enough power to drive nearly all headphones to their full potential. Perhaps you want to color the sound with a tube amp or something like that instead of merely driving it?

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #83 of 115

The HD 700 only needs 32 mW at 50 ohms to reach 120 dB, which is insanely loud and would only matter for dynamic peaks. For 110 dB, it only needs 3 mW. The Magni outputs 1 watt (that's 1,000 mW) at 50 ohms. It has far more than enough power to drive nearly all headphones to their full potential. Perhaps you want to color the sound with a tube amp or something like that instead of merely driving it?

The HD700 has a nominal impedance of 150ohm, but the peak SPL should still be in the 120dB range with the Magni/Magni2. I could actually barely use my Magni with the 700s because combined with the relatively high output of my PC DAC I could use very little of the volume pot before everything was way too loud.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #84 of 115
  The HD700 has a nominal impedance of 150ohm, but the peak SPL should still be in the 120dB range with the Magni/Magni2. I could actually barely use my Magni with the 700s because combined with the relatively high output of my PC DAC I could use very little of the volume pot before everything was way too loud.

I may get an HD 700 soon as well. I'm confused by what you said, though. Peak SPL (as in the max volume the amp can attain with the headphones?) is 120 dB, but barely turning up the volume, it was already too loud? Anyway, I will use a Fulla with mine for the time being. Also getting a HiFiMAN HE-500, which is a bit more power-hungry.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #85 of 115

I may get an HD 700 soon as well. I'm confused by what you said, though. Peak SPL (as in the max volume the amp can attain with the headphones?) is 120 dB, but barely turning up the volume, it was already too loud? Anyway, I will use a Fulla with mine for the time being. Also getting a HiFiMAN HE-500, which is a bit more power-hungry.

I doubt many people listen to music with 120dB peaks, esp. considering most music isn't very dynamic.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #88 of 115

Correct. My mistake in my description. The combo can drive the headphones well. However I find that it lacks color as your stated. Not as warm

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #89 of 115
Correct. My mistake in my description. The combo can drive the headphones well. However I find that it lacks color as your stated. Not as warm

Ah, yeah. If you want warmth, you'll need to use a parametric equalizer, the right tube amp, or both.

I'm actually getting the HD 700 very soon and will use a Schiit Fulla to drive it. (Probably getting the HiFiMAN HE-500 and STAX SR-207 after that.)

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #90 of 115
I just bought the Bottlehead Crack and I think it pairs really nicely with it. It gives the sound that I was missing when I used the magi/modi combo. I would really suggest getting the Bottlehead Crack. To me, it kinds tames the tremble a bit. But that might just be all in my head. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back