Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD 598 SR
Dec 9, 2018 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JimmyErfe

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I recently bought the Sennheiser HD 598 SR.
For a year or so i used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x primarily for music (they are pretty bass heavy and as they were my first pair of "serious" headphones they were good enough for the job).
Anyway, later i started gaming with them and i found them lacking severely in soundstage and as i said previously too bass heavy to listen properly to sound clues like footsteps, etc. so i bought the Sennheiser.

My question is this:

I want to use the Sennheiser HD 598 SR for gaming and to do so I connected the green line out of my pc (ASUS Maximus V Extreme MoBo btw) to my speakers AMP that is a Denon PMA-500AE and then i connected the headphones out of the AMP to my Sennheiser, they really opened up compared to only using my PC line out to drive them, although i find that (even with direct source activated) the AMP - i presume - has introduced a little bit of a bass boost (maybe a little too much).
Would i benefit from a dedicated Headphone AMP/DAC combo?
Would it let me hear better subtle audio cues without having to use an higher volume level? (things like footsteps or breathing, etc.)
Do i only need a DAC since i can use my speakers AMP or it's better to use a dedicated headphones AMP? (I searched through the forums and the latter seems to be the answer but i'm not sure)
What kind of equipment do you recommend buying? Something like a FiiO E10K or separate DAC/AMP combo?
I have a budget of 200€ circa.

Let me know and thanks in advance for your advice. :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Because of impedance (Ohm) issues with the Denon's headphone jack, it's causing the HD598 to have a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
If your into FPS (first Person Shooter) gaming, then a sound card might be the best choice.
I'm guessing you could get a used Sound Blaster Z sound card for 50-60 Euros.
If you have no need for headphone surround sound (like a sound card provides), then a USB-DAC/amp (E10K) would be fine.
Or spend a little more for a FiiO K3 or Schiit Fulla 2.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your answer!
Yeah i'm into FPS gaming... things like Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Rust and occasionally Dead by Daylight (even though it's not a FPS), so games where sound localization is extremely imporant.
With this kind of use in mind (and i'm willing to spend to achieve a considerably good improvement in sound localization) what do you suggest?
Is it preferable the Sound Blaster Z or the FiiO K3 would be more efficient?

Edit: I would also prefer to have a volume knob, it's more comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for your answer!
Yeah i'm into FPS gaming... things like Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Rust and occasionally Dead by Daylight (even though it's not a FPS), so games where sound localization is extremely important.
With this kind of use in mind (and i'm willing to spend to achieve a considerably good improvement in sound localization) what do you suggest?
Is it preferable the Sound Blaster Z or the FiiO K3 would be more efficient?
Edit: I would also prefer to have a volume knob, it's more comfortable for me.
USB-DAC/amps, like the FiiO K3, offer zero headphone surround sound processing.
So I think a sound card is a better choice for you.

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 8
This surround sound processing you're referring to is virtual surround?
Because i've heard that it's not a good solution and a good pair of normal stereo headphones are better than a virtual surround solution... i also already did a bit of research and i found that the Sound Blaster Z it's also pretty bass heavy (at least for some).
If i decide to go with an external DAC/Amp will i see any improvements anyway over the current set-up that i have?

Edit again: I should also add that i already tried a virtual surround software (even though i know that are not reliable at all) and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 8
This surround sound processing you're referring to is virtual surround?
Because I've heard that it's not a good solution and a good pair of normal stereo headphones are better than a virtual surround solution... i also already did a bit of research and i found that the Sound Blaster Z it's also pretty bass heavy (at least for some).
If i decide to go with an external DAC/Amp will i see any improvements anyway over the current set-up that i have?
Edit again: I should also add that i already tried a virtual surround software (even though i know that are not reliable at all) and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
To me "virtual" surround sound, is a fancy way of saying faked surround sound, like taking stereo (2.0) audio and using it to fake a 5.1 or 7.1 headphone surround sound.
Where as the SB-Z card can work with a 5.1 (6-channel) or 7.1 (8-channel) source (PC game).
The SB-Z might add a little bass to the HD598, but not as much as the Denon would.

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm not sure i understand, sorry but i don't know much about this topic.
So if i buy the SB-Z i should put in the game audio a 5.1 or 7.1 output and the audio card would "convert" it for my stereo headphones?
Yep, the SB-Z card takes in the 5.1 (6-channel) or 7.1 (8-channel) audio feed from the source (game, movie or other) and converts it into headphone surround sound (headphones are 2-channel, right and left ear)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back