Amp/DAC for my computer?
Feb 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mvalpreda

Head-Fier
Looking to replace my sound card with a DAC/amp. This will be driving a set of Definitive Technologies StudioMonitor 45s. These have a 90db sensitivity.

Been looking at the Topping TP-30 or TP-32 but feel like 15x2 might not be enough. Am I nuts and it is enough? Or is there something more powerful with a built-in DAC I should look at? I'm even willing to spend some money on a tube DAC/amp.
smile.gif

Thanks for any input!

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 7
What would your maximum budget be?

I probably cant provide as much info as some members that frequent this board, but I too have been looking into DAC/Amp combos and Ive come across quite a few brands and makes that I am considering.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 7
I looked mainly at the Schiit Magni and Modi stack, both very good looking, they are seperate units, Magni being the amp and Modi being the DAC. Magni is a solid state amp, so no tubes.

I also looked at the Hifiman EF2A, which is a small tube amp and DAC in the same chassis.

Lastly I looked at the Aune Audio T1, which is another amp and DAC built into the same small chassis.

I looked at nothing above $200 for a first purchase because that was my budget. I plan to eventually buy a new set that costs more, mainly a more powerful amp because I hope to get some high end orthos. So for that I looked at the Schiit Lyr and Bifrost, Lyr is the amp, Bifrost is the DAC.

Hope I helped.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I guess I probably should have looked up what Definitive Technologies StudioMonitor 45s were before I posted here..... Im terribly sorry..

In my defense you have this in the Fullsize Headphone Amp forums, you may want to go make a new one in the Computer Audio forum and abandon this one.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Looking to replace my sound card with a DAC/amp. This will be driving a set of Definitive Technologies StudioMonitor 45s. These have a 90db sensitivity.
Been looking at the Topping TP-30 or TP-32 but feel like 15x2 might not be enough. Am I nuts and it is enough? Or is there something more powerful with a built-in DAC I should look at? I'm even willing to spend some money on a tube DAC/amp.
smile.gif

How about a used Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (Used $60-$70).
And a 2-channel amplifier (off eBay, used $50-$80)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back