amp/dac for laptop advice
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

d00mhammers

Head-Fier
Hello, 

This is my first time here. I enjoy this forum a lot but I decided to post for first time as I need help with an issue I'm having. Recently I bought Bluedio Victory headphones and I was looking for an amp/dac to connect them to my laptop via optical cable that came with my Bluedio Victory. I have a relatively old laptop Samsung rc512. I prefer something that doesnt require batteries or charging that I can perhaps connect via USB to my laptop and connect to it my Bluedio Victory via optical cable (toslink). Could you please advice how can that be done best at 200$ budget. I listen to all kinds of music from classic to rock to metal to techno and trance. I also want to use this for gaming if possible. I was thinking about Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with SBX SB1095. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3836YOJYB6JFZ&coliid=ISN545GKFU6V1

Would this work or are their better options? Thank you for your time :)

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 33
If you only want the optical output, you can save a bit more money on a smaller USB soundcard like the Xonar U3. It has a combo 3.5mm analogue/digital toslink output jack that just requires the 3.5mm to toslink adapter. Mine had one in the box.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 33
  Would it give me better quality than the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi (one i linked in original post)?

As your using a optical (digital) connection to the headphones, audio quality will not change no matter what sound card you use.
As audio quality is set by whatever DAC (Digital to Analog Convertion) is built into the BlueDio headphones themselves.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 33
  So what would you suggest I should do?

Me, I would get the Asus Xonar U3 sound card.
I personally prefer Asus xonar over Creative.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 33
  Would it give me better quality than the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi (one i linked in original post)?

You'll be using the optical output, the only thing you'll really need is the DSP chip and that output type. You won't need its DAC and preamp, and AFAIK the DSP isn't that much better nor sporting more features on that one. Less clutter on the desk too since the U3 is tiny and light (note that, AFAIK, the Creative form factor and price equivalent now has no DSP chip). It'll be easier to rout cables with the U3 in-line (ie not much heavier than a ferrite ring) like it's part of the cable. Even better, if you ever end up with a phone with a badly designed audio circuit, it works via Android USB OTG (Asus doesn't mention this as it wasn't conceived with that in mind). You can't control the DSP but at least it's a clean enough DAC-HPamp in case your phone sucks or you want to drive Grados.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 33
  So when is it better to use external sound card and when is it better to use dac/amp?

What are the advantages of each combo?

A soundcard technically has a DAC and amplifier circuit also. The main difference is that a soundcard - whether it goes into an expansion slot or an external, or is a basic dongle or has its own knob and more output choices - has a DSP chip for digital signal processing. Apart from that the differences are more of a specific soundcard vs a DAC-HPamp in terms of the DAC and headphone amp circuit quality. Very generally though DAC-HPamps would put more of the production costs in the DSP than in how they design the amp circuit and its power supply.

You can skip the soundcard if you don't plan on using its DSP with games and movies. Otherwise, you can use both - use a cheap soundcard to send an optical signal to a DAC-HPamp. I actually own both, just not in the same system. I have the Xonar U3 on my gaming rig with an effiicent enough 120ohm headphone, and I have a DAC-HPamp in my main rig that uses a smartphone as a server.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 33
I dont have any sound card at the moment. Just the default one that came with my samsung rc512, which i dont think is great. It doesnt have digital output from what I know. I dont have any amp or dac as well. Headphones that I have are Bluedio Victory and Logitech Artemis 633. I need something for both music and games. Should i get a sound card or/and dac.amp?
I have no idea what brands are good as i never bought any sound cards or amp/dac. Please recommend me something not very expensive perhaps with potential to drive 300-600 ohm headset as i plan to get sennheiser hd650 in near future.

Thanks

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 33
  I dont have any sound card at the moment. Just the default one that came with my samsung rc512, which i dont think is great. It doesnt have digital output from what I know. I dont have any amp or dac as well. Headphones that I have are Bluedio Victory and Logitech Artemis 633. I need something for both music and games. Should i get a sound card or/and dac.amp?
I have no idea what brands are good as i never bought any sound cards or amp/dac. Please recommend me something not very expensive perhaps with potential to drive 300-600 ohm headset as i plan to get sennheiser hd650 in near future

That's why I've been saying get the Xonar U3 for $39. That leaves you a lot of money to save towards a really good DAC-HPamp with optical input like the AudioGD NFB prdoucts, which can then be used for practically any headphone you get later on.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 33
Dec 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by d00mhammers /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you need the USB to SPDIF conversion primarily and the system will be used for gaming audio that one doesn't have the virtual surround DSP that the Xonar U3 has, then you're paying more to get features you don't need from it while sacrificing one that you do.

If it's only for audio and you won't need another amp, then sure it's a good buy. If however if it's only to use SPDIF, even without the need for the virtual surround DSP, you're still paying more money to get features you won't use.

Another advantage of the U3 if you use it for gaming is that, AFAIK, you can use it to run an SPDIF output to a DAC-HPamp to drive harder to drive headphones, while running your mic into the U3.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 33
If you need the USB to SPDIF conversion primarily and the system will be used for gaming audio that one doesn't have the virtual surround DSP that the Xonar U3 has, then you're paying more to get features you don't need from it while sacrificing one that you do. 

What do you mean by this? Not sure I follow, I want to use it for both gaming with surround mode and music.

Can I/Should I combine the U3 with the Micca OriGen for max quality sound in games and music?

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 33

What do you mean by this? Not sure I follow, I want to use it for both gaming with surround mode and music.

Can I/Should I combine the U3 with the Micca OriGen for max quality sound in games and music?

PC > (USB) Xonar U3 > (optically) Micca OriGen > headphones.
This way you have the option of using the U3's Dolby Headphone, while the Miccca provides the DAC function and headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back