amp/ dac for iRiver ihp-140
Mar 14, 2007 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

itobito

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have iRiver ihp-140 Rockbox and beyerdynamic DT 990 pro. could recommend me which portable amp/dac is suitable best for iRiver?

thanks
Kind Regards

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 12
Portable amp choices are plentiful but a portable DAC? Your best bet is the Micro DAC by Headroom. It can run on batteries but I never tried batteries with mine. I think I read that it'll run 6 to 8 hours.

I suppose you could build a battery pack and power other smallish DACs (Firestone DACs jump to mine) that way.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 12
thanks for your fast response. I know headroom already... but gives it a
device, where together in it has both dac and amp together?

is headroom dac just only possibility
confused.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 12
I am unaware of a portable amp+dac device.

Head-Fi'er jamato8 made a Monica 2 DAC in an Altoids mint tin and built a battery pack to power it. That's the only other portable DAC I can think of. However, the Monica 2 has digital coax and not optical output.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 12
Yes, but iriver have optical output... I think for it should be better headroom dac..
And I need also amp… is it gut idée to take also headroom amp with headroom dac?

I point not much over dac, because up to now I used my player (iPod and iRiver h340 Lineout) only with amp

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 12
I'm not sure how much better a portable dac will have. The UDA1380TT does quite well that I think will take a decent "$" spent on a DAC to better it. There is a separate line-out out of the UDA1380TT, so amping the 140 is not the same as amping the headphone out. And definitely worth the effort.

Get a decent portable amp, and save up on for a really decent DAC and you will be much happier by the end.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 12
the point is, I have iRiver h140 and I love it very much...
wink.gif

and my beyerdynamic is to low and I need just amp, best fit too iriver

after which I read head-fi much, consider between tomahawk and microstack...

someone can HELP me to decide

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by itobito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for example this here?? dac/amp:

http://aoselectronics.com/flute.html

Which unfortunately I also just missed out as AOS by then had made the decision to cease building audio equipments. I did get one of the last quote before he made the decision though.

E.g. At 8.5Kg, the 840C is not portable, but beside being a great CD player, it is a significant DAC upgrade to my 140.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by itobito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the point is, I have iRiver h140 and I love it very much...
wink.gif

and my beyerdynamic is to low and I need just amp, best fit too iriver

after which I read head-fi much, consider between tomahawk and microstack...

someone can HELP me to decide

I've neither, but base on forum trolling, both have good reviews. The tomahawk may be more portable though.

I swear by my SM, though I only have non-portable amp to compare it with.

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 12
my sister had mini cabinet for his barbie pupates small toy room with mini sofa, mini desk, mini chair... and sometimes the tomahawk reminds me (because of its mini designe) some part of these toy-rooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back