Amp/DAC for HD800
May 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

maclenltd

New Head-Fier
Hi, I recently purchased the HD800s and have been using them with the JDS labs O2/ODAC. While I'm happy with the SQ, I can't get the HD800s loud enough to enjoy listening to them (unless I apply a lot of extra gain manually in foobar).
What would you recommend for an amp/DAC (either combo or separate units) for less than $500 total. I will be traveling with these so space is a consideration. That said, I am not interested in a battery or USB powered unit.

May 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi, I recently purchased the HD800s and have been using them with the JDS labs O2/ODAC. While I'm happy with the SQ, I can't get the HD800s loud enough to enjoy listening to them (unless I apply a lot of extra gain manually in foobar).
What would you recommend for an amp/DAC (either combo or separate units) for less than $500 total. I will be traveling with these so space is a consideration. That said, I am not interested in a battery or USB powered unit.

I've used my O2 to drive my 600-Ohm headphones, surprised your having a volume issue with your 300-Ohm HD800s.
Where is this "gain" setting in Foobar2000, I can only find a volume control?
I normally leave all my computer's volume setting to max, for outputting audio to my external DAC/Amp (NFB-15.32).
If you do get new hardware, I would would say to keep the ODAC and just buy a new amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back