Amp/DAC for HD600
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Do you mean HD660S or any others? For entry-level journey schiit Magin+ Modi or the upgrade ver. Modius +magnius. Both of them are DAC+ AMP stacks. The latter one can work with a balanced XLR also.

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 8
I would say that it depends on the type of music. I listen mostly Beethoven with my HD600 (old, from sometime in 2002) and I didn’t get good results with any amp with less than 1watt. I currently use a IFI iDSD (so, with amp) and I’m very satisfied. For non classic music I can listen with less amplification.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Sennheiser HD600
As same as Bernardo Cabral said, depends on what type of music you listen to. HD600 increases the perception of treble and bass, so you may feel comfortable having great sensitivity to those musical Instruments. But when you hear some popular music, you may feel the voice of the singer dim into the bass or either far away from you with the wrong location.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the HD580 headphones, which have the same drivers as the HD600s. I've had tube amps that I enjoyed very much. However, I had found that the bass with the tubes tended to be a bit muddy and it didn't have the slam, the pop that rock music demands. I had since moved onto solid state offerings. I had my M-Audio Fastrack Pro for over 10 years and whereas the DAC on it was pretty good, the amp wasn't powerful enough to drive my headphones. Rather, it could drive them, but there wasn't enough headroom. I have since moved on to Topping E30/L30 combo. The L30 can drive the headphones without any problems and there is more than enough headroom. I'm sure that comparable amps such as Schiit Heresy, JDS Atom and the like will do just as good a job. Furthermore, my phones finally have the bass slam and pop. These are not the fastest of headphones, so a fast amplifier really helps and that's solid state. Tubes sound glorious, but if you listen to rock or pop music, they don't quite cut it in the bass department. If you listen to classical or vocals, tubes will take you to a place from which you won't want to come back.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I mostly listen to rock 70-80-90´s. Headphones i used to have is the AKG k701, Beyerdynamic T1, HD650. Have sold all the others but the HD600s.
I used to like the HD650s with the Darkvoice 332 must been 10 years ago. Then had the Woo Audio WA2.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back