Amp/DAC for HD 650
Jun 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JmanOfIsrael

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm having difficulty deciding between a tube or SS amp/DAC mostly due to my own inexperience. What would pair well with the HD 650? I like a warm/full sound and the HD 650 has a very lush mid-bass hump that I would like to preserve. I also want to preserve the excellent soundstage the HD 650 has and possibly expand it. I hear that tube amps give a warmer fuller sound but tend to be more expensive and less have a quality DAC built in.

How does the Schiit Modi/Magni pair with the HD 650? Would you recommend spending a little more to pair the Modi with the Asgard 2?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm really at a loss of knowledge here. I'm also leaving the country soon and need to travel light. I'd feel okay bringing the Schiit gear with me while I'm worried about breaking the tubes if I were to purchase a tube amp.

I'd also use the AKG Q701 and Pro 900 with the setup occasionally so it would be nice if they'd work with the setup too. I hear SS amps tend to be fairly flexible with tube amps are quite the contrary.

Thanks again!

Jordan

P.S. For reference I've been running from a MacBook Pro>stereo cable>old Pioneer receiver

I'm going to start using a stereo to optical cable with this setup but I'm guessing anything will be an upgrade from this system!

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 15
Take a look here please:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/345

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661919/getting-a-new-amp-for-my-hd650s-schiit-lyr-vs-bottlehead-crack

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643168/schiit-or-woo-audio-for-hd-650

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 15
Well the Bottlehead Crack was pretty much designed with the HD600/650 in mind, but it is a kit, unless you can find someone to build it for you. The Lyr is also supposed to be good with the HD650 but I guess that is a bit over your budget. Given what you have looked at so far I guess I'd go with the Modi/Asgard 2. The Asgard is supposed to sound pretty good with just about any phone you throw at it. I may be getting the same thing myself, just trying to decide if I want to go solid state with the Asgard or tube with the Valhalla.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 15
I was considering the Valhalla as well since, from what I've heard, I would like the sound of a tube amp. Tube amps just sound like they require more upkeep and are more difficult to transport which will be difficult for me in the coming years.

What did you like about the Valhalla? Can you pair the Valhalla with the modi?

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
I was considering the Valhalla as well since, from what I've heard, I would like the sound of a tube amp. Tube amps just sound like they require more upkeep and are more difficult to transport which will be difficult for me in the coming years.

What did you like about the Valhalla? Can you pair the Valhalla with the modi?

First of all yes, you can use the Modi with pretty much any headphone amp that has rca input jacks. I haven't heard the Valhalla, but others have said it is a nice all around tube amp and I currently have a tube amp and I really like it, even though it is no where near the quality of the Valhalla. It is real hard to describe the difference between a tube amp and a solid state one. You pretty much just have to hear both as close to side by side as you can get.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Thank goodness Schiit has a 15 day return policy! I've heard that tube amps have a full, warm sound. Based on the fact that I like to listen to music with the "loudness" feature on my receiver switched on I am guessing that I'll like the sound of a tube amp better.

Stupid question but for transportation it is possible to simply remove the tubes from the amp, right?

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 15
It is looking like they recommend upgrading the DAC before the Amp. The thing is, at $99 the Modi is a very good deal.  I wonder if it makes more sense to get the Modi and the Valhalla if I want to get the tube sound from the get-go. If not I'll go M&M and the upgrade accordingly, I just think that I will like the sound of a tube amp (if my ears can even tell a difference).

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
It is looking like they recommend upgrading the DAC before the Amp. The thing is, at $99 the Modi is a very good deal.  I wonder if it makes more sense to get the Modi and the Valhalla if I want to get the tube sound from the get-go. If not I'll go M&M and the upgrade accordingly, I just think that I will like the sound of a tube amp (if my ears can even tell a difference).

You will definitely be able to tell the difference between tube and solid state. It's a very different sound.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 15
don't let the diy part of crack deter you from buying it. It was my first time soldering anything and I managed to put it together. I would say that tubes are the way to go, I can listen for many hours on a tube amp, but solid state gets fatiging.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 15
That sounds good to me! I found a used Crack that has already been assembled but I'm considering just buying the kit and learning something new! What DAC would you recommend since I'm currently rocking the Fiio E7? What will I need to run it from MacBook Pro>DAC>Crack>Headphones?

Does the Crack pair well with lower impedance HPs like the Q701s and Pro 900s? It wouldn't be a huge problem if it didn't.

Thanks again!

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 15
crack doesn't go well with low impedance. The E7 dac should be fine for now. I don't think the modi would be much better. Maybe later on you can get the JKDAC32. Or diy and build a buffalo III dac. Or modify an old marantz or denon dvd/cd player running the vintage pcm 1702 or 1704 dac chips. These recommendations will get you a really high end dac for affordable price.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Woo Audio WA3 / WA6 or WA6-SE

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 15
I'm pretty set on the Bottlehead Crack. Now I'm trying to figure out my DAC options. I like the simplicity, style, and cost of the modi but I think I would like to have the option to run optical to the DAC but I'm not sure. I have heard great things about the modi but I am open for recommendations! The JKDAC32 is too expensive for my budjet and I'm not sure I trust myself to build the buffalo. Are there any cost effective options that feature optical in? Would you say that USB in would be fine? I just got optical in for my Pioneer receiver and it sounds great with the HD 650!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back