AMP/DAC for Focal Utopia
May 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #16 of 25
I had it a few months back, and was underwhelmed by it. Sold it. Granted that time I did not have the Utopia. I had the HD800
I just got it for less than a week though but "underwhelmed by it"? What exactly did you find wrong with it cos I do want to know. I own the HD800 as well.
I found the bass more pronounced on the Audeze with my Focal cans which is why I selected it over the Ragnarok. The impedance of the Utopia is 80 ohms whereas the HD800 is 300 ohms.

May 17, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #17 of 25
I just got it for less than a week though but "underwhelmed by it"? What exactly did you find wrong with it cos I do want to know. I own the HD800 as well.
I found the bass more pronounced on the Audeze with my Focal cans which is why I selected it over the Ragnarok. The impedance of the Utopia is 80 ohms whereas the HD800 is 300 ohms.

Let's put it this way. At the time I had the Deckard with HD800, I also had the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B (I still have that amp). The Matrix was noticeably better than the Deckard, in every single aspect. And it MSRPs at $419, balanced design etc. Deckard simply does not cut it, and it is certainly not worth its list price. I am shocked to hear that you preferred the Deckard over the Ragnarok. But of course, that's your system, and you do whatever is good for you and your ears.

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #19 of 25
Looking for tube amp recommendations for the Focal Utopia if there are any new recommendations. Thanks!

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 25
Amps and Sound Kenzie. Heard the Utopias twice on this amp and it does very well with them. It also loves my planars and HD-800’s as well.

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 25
Amps and Sound Kenzie. Heard the Utopias twice on this amp and it does very well with them. It also loves my planars and HD-800’s as well.

Thank you.

How do you think the Amps and Sound Kenzie compares to the Woo WA8 (question for anyone who has tried both)?

Another consideration has been the Hugo2 in combo with a tube amp.

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #22 of 25
I also currently have a PrimaLuna Dialogue HP that I’m using in one of my speaker setups and was wondering if anyone here has tried it with headphones to make a comparison with pure headphone amps.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 25
Thank you.

How do you think the Amps and Sound Kenzie compares to the Woo WA8 (question for anyone who has tried both)?

Another consideration has been the Hugo2 in combo with a tube amp.
Have not heard the Utopias on the WA8 but have heard it a couple of times and it is a very nice combo. Being that I own the Kenzie I’ll be a bit biased but I did buy it after I heard the WA8 twice. Not knocking the Woo gear as I think a lot of it is great and if I had the money (meaning that my wife wouldn’t kill me) I would own a WA5 with the Sophia tubes as it is truly awesome. The best I heard the Utopias sound was at CanJam SoCal this year. Was from a Chord Dave and a Cavalli prototype Liquid Tungsten it was jaw drop good. Since Alex closed Cavalli that amp will not be coming out but it is one of my favorite amps I’ve heard so sad.i did get to hook it up to my Yggy in Chicago and my Ether-C’s will never sound the same. As for the Hugo2 it was at the same booth will a couple of other prototype amps and I think it did just fine and would like to hear a side by side comparison with the Yggdrasil but I love my Yggy and it would take a lot to steer me away form it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back