AMP / DAC for computer & phone
Nov 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Maudioo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for a way to improve sound quality from my Philips Uptown headphones when playing music from my PC and phone.
I now have an Asus Xonar DG soundcard in my PC which already greatly improved the soundquality compared to my motherboard soundcard. I found the FiiO E7 and maybe I want to buy it but i have a question.

I understand that a DAC converts to analog but what is the benefit from this? Will this improve sound quality? And will the sound still be processed through my soundcard or is that not possible? Is the E7 a good buy for me?

Sorry for the bad English

Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 7
You can tell the pc to bypass your sound card so the e7 would act as a sound card, personally I would get an audio engine d1, I have also have the e7 , it is good but not amazing, or look at the e17

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I understand that a DAC converts to analog but what is the benefit from this?

Sound is analog, so somewhere in the signal path ("audio chain") digital data must be converted to analog so you can hear something.

Your Xonar has a DAC. Your cellphone has a DAC. Powered speakers which accept digital inputs have a DAC. The E7 has a DAC. A DAC is an unavoidable requirement for playing "digital audio."

And will the sound still be processed through my soundcard or is that not possible? Is the E7 a good buy for me?

Audio sent to the E7 isn't sent to the Xonar, and vice-versa.

I've never heard the E7 or the Xonar and my bottom-of-the-line cellphone doesn't do audio, so I can't offer any advice on sound quality. Sorry.

Sorry for the bad English

Your English was perfect.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies.

Does this mean I don't need a DAC at all? Will I be better off with the E11? Because then I wouldn't be paying unnecessarily for a DAC that won't be used...

Also, when using a headphone amp, will I still be able to use the equalizer of my soundcard?

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Does this mean I don't need a DAC at all? Will I be better off with the E11? Because then I wouldn't be paying unnecessarily for a DAC that won't be used...

You don't have to buy another DAC unless you want to do so for some reason. Some external DAC's might well sound better than the Xonar; some won't.

Also, when using a headphone amp, will I still be able to use the equalizer of my soundcard?

Yes. You know you can use the volume settings and equalizer to change what you hear on your headphones right now. With the E11, you'll just be putting a "signal booster" between the Xonar's output jack and your headphones.

The E11 also has some sort of "bass-boost" control -- an additional, if simple and limited, equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back