AMP/DAC for AKG K712
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Blamoi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

Got my AKG 712 Pro this week, in my pc they sound okay, but not anything special, i expected this after reading reviews, so thats okay.

I then plugged them into my Yamaha receiver, and the sound is so good, i have never heard headphones like it, granted i have just tried a few.

I went a little over budget on the headphones, so i dont have much left for a amp/dac combo.
Ive looked at the FX-audio DAC-X6 as its in my budget (around 100$), will that suffice to begin with?

With time i well save up to buy the Schiit mm combi.

Hope to hear from you, suggestions within budget is very welcome.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the DAC-X6 and it drives the K712 at sufficient volume once you mod it to high gain mode, the quality is also very nice for its price. I mainly use the O2+ODAC however for the K712. I am upgrading soon to the R2R 11 and I suggest you look into it as well, it's easily the best price/performance DAC/Amp/Preamp unit from what I've seen. There's a huge thread on here about it.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 14
Whats your source? Dragonfly and cyrus soundkey worth considering too.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 14
Hey guys
Got my AKG 712 Pro this week, in my pc they sound okay, but not anything special, i expected this after reading reviews, so thats okay.
I then plugged them into my Yamaha receiver, and the sound is so good, i have never heard headphones like it, granted i have just tried a few.
I went a little over budget on the headphones, so i dont have much left for a amp/dac combo.
Ive looked at the FX-audio DAC-X6 as its in my budget (around 100$), will that suffice to begin with?
With time i well save up to buy the Schiit mm combi.
Hope to hear from you, suggestions within budget is very welcome.
Any chance you could run a S/PDIF optical cable (or at least analog cable) from the computer to the receiver?

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 14
I have the DAC-X6 and it drives the K712 at sufficient volume once you mod it to high gain mode, the quality is also very nice for its price. I mainly use the O2+ODAC however for the K712. I am upgrading soon to the R2R 11 and I suggest you look into it as well, it's easily the best price/performance DAC/Amp/Preamp unit from what I've seen. There's a huge thread on here about it.

AudioGD R2R-11 or NFB-11

Cant afford the AudioGD right now, so im looking for a temporary solution at this time.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 14
An Asus Xonar U3 (USB sound card) has an optical output jack.
So $40-$50 for the Xonar U3, plus the cost of an S/PDIF optical cable.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1557

I could do that, but then i need to run a optical cable from my office to my living room, and then a headphone cable from the living room back to my office.
Or did i misunderstand what you meant?

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 14
I could do that, but then i need to run a optical cable from my office to my living room, and then a headphone cable from the living room back to my office.
Or did i misunderstand what you meant?
Did not realize the great distance from your office to the living room.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 14
Should probably have mentioned that in the beginning, it would be a perfect solution if the computer was closer.
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (used, $65?) makes a good value for a low cost DAC and headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back