Amp/DAC for AKG K701?
Jul 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JAChichorro

Head-Fier
What would be the best choice for the K701? I'm guessing something warmer to balance out the AKGs brightness, but I'm not too familiar with amp/DAC models. Was looking to keep it under $500, $300 if possible. Thanks for reading!

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 4
There aren't a whole lot of amp/DAC combos, but the few that are out there are fairly well respected. I owned a Compass briefly and would recommend against it for the K701 - it was far too bright and grainy in my system to mate well with the AKGs.

I haven't heard the Head-Direct EF2 yet, but based on my experience with the EF1 (which I love with the K701), it could prove to be an excellent match for these headphones, and would bring you in well under budget and leave you some extra cash to try tube-rolling if you're so inclined.

Best of luck!

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the fast reply, I'll try to audition the EF2.
k701smile.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 4
For $300 you can get an used X-CanV3 (but it doesn't have a DAC section) or if you spend $200 more you get the X-CanV8P which also has a decent DAC section built it.

I have heard both and I find the X-CanV8P to be a much better match than the V3. The V3 makes the K701 sound much brighter, while the V8 has a smoother pleasing tone but still very detailed and airy.

Another option is the ZeroDAC which sound surprisingly good with the K701. And a Fourth option is the CIAudio VHP-2 headphone amp which sounds good with K701 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back