Amp/DAC for $300
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

owkia

Head-Fier
I guess I'll start out with saying hi. Hi. I've been lurking these forums for a month or two after I got my DT-770s and have decided that I now need a decent amp to replace the PA2V2 I got as a starter.

I'm looking for the best solid state Amp/DAC I can get for around $300. It's a somewhat flexible budget if deemed really necessary to spend a bit extra. They'll be powering my DT-770 80s from my PC. I almost always listen to rock and I definately like some good bass. It doesn't need to be portable as it will just be sitting on my desk.

Let me know if I've missed any pertinent info. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Is there anywhere else that I could look at purchasing the D1? The official site lists it as out of stock with a new version coming out next month.

As for the opamp, my nonexistant soldering skills wouldn't really allow me to do anything like that right now.

Any suggestions other than the D1 or is it really my best choice?

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 10
PM HiFlight about purchasing already soldered opamps from him. And as for the availability of D1... it'll be out November, or you could look around in the For Sale forum. Sorry I can't be much more helpful than this...

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM HiFlight about purchasing already soldered opamps from him. And as for the availability of D1... it'll be out November, or you could look around in the For Sale forum. Sorry I can't be much more helpful than this...

No worries at all, I do thank you for your help. There's not a whole lot anyone can do if something simply isn't available.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please do let me know. Otherwise I'll either wait until next month or see if any deals that I like pop up used.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 10
for a nice sounding portable amp (about the size of the Hornet) with a wonderful USB/DAC.. consider the Leckerton UHA-3

I am buring one in now and I am very impressed, its under 200.00 to your door.

with the money you save buy a good interconnect

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 10
Remember guys, it doesn't need to be portable. I'm not saying it can't be, but size definately isn't a restriction at all here. I'd almost rather something that I can leave plugged in 24/7 without needing to worry at all about batteries.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 10
theres not alot in that price range, i think the beresford or zhalou 2.5a with the headphone amp upgrade. However, i dont know of the performace of either. Another option would be to go for the original master for <$200 and an entech number cruncher off of ebay.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 10
After reading more and more on the D1, it looks like it may be near perfect for what I want in this price range. I really like that I could either use USB or the optical minijack on my X-Fi to the D1.

Out of curiosity and forgetting the $300 budget, what would the very next step up that offers similar features be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back