amp/DAC combo (with revised budget!)
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sam-c

New Head-Fier
Hi guys 

I'm looking for a portable amp/DAC combo for around £100 ($158) although if its really worth it I'll stretch my budget but I'd rather not! 

The source is a mixture of university computers (with possibly the worlds worse sound card) and an iPhone. I would also consider getting and LOD if necessary.

The headphones are AKG K550s.

Any help much appreciated.

Sam

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Nobody? :frowning2: 

Fiio E10, not quite portable but in your price range, powered by usb, quite good and an amp+dac all in one

also you can check the ibasso d7, but you better read the forum about it

for something else i dont know, your budget is thin, better gather some more and get a better amp with that iphone with lod 

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Well I can increase the budget I guess if its going to make a noticable difference. What would you suggest on a larger budget? 

you could try the graham slee voyager portable http://www.headphoneamplifiersusb.com/voyagerportableheadphoneamplifier.htm since it's from uk it would be easy for you, 200pounds, otherwise you could not go wrong with the http://www.aloaudio.com/mk3-b-algorhthym-solo-package RX mk3 portable amp coupled with the cypher solo portable DAC for the ipod, best money can buy for me, kinda pricey

on the other hand if you know diy you could try an o2 amp +dac, kinda in your budget if you diy the o2 amp, not for beginners, of course

also on the other hand, k550 are easy to drive so you can manage even without an amp so better upgrade your source, like a better PMP, but also it wouldn't hurt them to be plugged in a desktop amp to let them shine

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 6
The voyager is just an amp and not DAC though is it not? The ALO Audio package you linked sound like it would do the job (if the DAC works with a pc and not just iPod) however, I cant find it in the UK and at the price on the link you gave that really is out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back