Amp/Dac combo for Shure SRH 1840
Dec 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

damianmb

Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently drive them with a Dragonfly v1.2 and they are kind of dry... I know the cans are neutral but a little warmness and punchy bass would help.

There is a used Alo The Island here for around 90 USD but not sure if I should get something from Massdrop. I have somewhere a Dacport LX 2013 which could be used as a DAC if an Amp is a better option (something from massdrop maybe). 

I don't know if a Dragonfly Red would be any better... I'm all in for minimalistic setups. I'm using my Mac as a source, also I might get some closed cans soon as my GF is bitching about the sound leaking at night 
triportsad.gif

Currently in Middle East so shipping could be an issue, also I don't really want to spend much or have some gigantic setup.

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 4
Keep in mind no accurate DAC/Amp will change the sound much.
Shure SRH-1840 is neutralish at best in the bass and very forward in the upper midrange.
The FiiO E17K Alpen 2 has bass and treble control, which might help to tweak the sound to your preference.

Check this frequency response graphs for Alpen 2 possibilities

Bass control:

Treble control:

Something like +2 or +4dB Bass and -2 or -4dB Treble will make the sound of your Shure warmer and more to your liking.

If you don't want this kind of device, I suggest selling the 1840s and getting something warmer like HD650 or the (even warmer) Nighthawk

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 4
  I currently drive them with a Dragonfly v1.2 and they are kind of dry... I know the cans are neutral but a little warmness and punchy bass would help.
There is a used Alo The Island here for around 90 USD but not sure if I should get something from Massdrop. I have somewhere a Dacport LX 2013 which could be used as a DAC if an Amp is a better option (something from massdrop maybe). 
I don't know if a Dragonfly Red would be any better... I'm all in for minimalistic setups. I'm using my Mac as a source, also I might get some closed cans soon as my GF is bitching about the sound leaking at night 
triportsad.gif
Currently in Middle East so shipping could be an issue, also I don't really want to spend much or have some gigantic setup.

Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier ($80, ebay) might get a little more "something" out of the SRH-1840.
You can plug the Bravo directly into the Mac or Dragonfly.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 4
I'll wait till I get some closed headphones that I like... maybe these are too analytical and adding the not so much bass, some recordings sound harsh. I'll check out the tube amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back