Amp/ DAC combo advise please!
Sep 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

N0051215

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a new amp and DAC - and have narrowed things down after a little reading up to the RSA Predator and the iBasso D10.

Now I appreciate that there is quite a difference in price and this is basically the advice I am after - is it really worth it??

The $400+ price tag on a Predator will get me a product with a sound I'm sure I will enjoy (I used to own an RSA Hornet and LOVED it - that's why my search for a new toy started at Ray's website) but the iBasso is SO much cheaper - it seems well received too (hence it being on my shortlist!) but it's more of an unknown to me.....oh, and I don't really fancy the idea of changing the internals, as I've read many people are doing.

I have HD650's for home listening and Atrio M5's for portable.

I understand some people will say that the 650's won't sing to their best with such small amps, but hey, I have the need for something I can pick up easily and move from stereo to laptop, or stick in my bag for portable listening. Besides, I don't have the £££'s for a bigger, better set-up, or sadly more than one device!

There are several reviews online, but I would like the opinion/ direct comparison from someone with experience of both amps!

Many thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 12
The review on the Ray Samuels website states that the Predator and HD650s actually go quite well together.

I have the D10 myself, and found it couldn't power my Denon headphones to an acceptable volume. So I ended up getting a proper desktop amp instead.

I was NOT keen on changing the internals of the D10 either. I had no desire, and did NOT want to tinker inside whatsoever for fear of messing things up. But I changed my mind. For $20 (thanks to HiFlight), I ended up with a D10 that sounds awesome. I'm currently using it as a standalone DAC with my amp. But I also use with with my IEMs and my iPhone.

The D10 has multiple inputs, whereas the Predator only has USB. If your laptop supports optical, I say go for the D10. Having said that, I'm not sure you'll be too happy with the stock config of the D10 and how it sounds with your Senns. Just sayin'.

Best bang for your buck is the D10; for sheer power, is probably the Predator.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 12
I have a Practical Devices XM5 and it pushes my HD600s very well. That is without the gain. If needed it does have +10db gain. The dac works great too.
It is a great little device. I also have a D10 but find myself grabbing the XM5 for the HDs.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by havagr8da /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Practical Devices XM5 and it pushes my HD600s very well. That is without the gain. If needed it does have +10db gain. The dac works great too.
It is a great little device. I also have a D10 but find myself grabbing the XM5 for the HDs.

Do you have the buffers? I also own the XM5 and with BUF634 in high gain it does a fine job with HD 650. The treble boost can even be an advantage to spike the high end...I often use it. This is the gadget lovers amp.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the buffers? I also own the XM5 and with BUF634 in high gain it does a fine job with HD 650. The treble boost can even be an advantage to spike the high end...I often use it. This is the gadget lovers amp.

Yes I have the buffers too. I have been absolutely pleased with this amp. It is a gadget lovers dream machine for sure.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm not running a Mac (bit of an apple hater to be honest!) so the Apogee's no good for me. Not heard of the XM5 before - so will take a closer look......back to the D10 for a minute though - how easy is it to roll the opamps?

I read somewhere that you can configure them in such a way as to get more power out of the device? Is that true, and does it change the sound signature THAT much?!

Thanks

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0051215 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that you can configure them in such a way as to get more power out of the device? Is that true, and does it change the sound signature THAT much?!

Thanks

Yes, you can. Send HiFlight a pm about opamps that output more power.

Rolling opamps is simple. You remove the four screws on the front of the D10, push on the coax input on the back, and voila! The whole circuit board slides forward. Don't try and remove the volume knob.

I removed my opamps with tweezers using a rocking motion. Once they're removed, you pop the new ones in. HiFlight will even include a diagram on how to do this. It's EASY!

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 12
D10 is superior sounding in any way I care to think of. in fact if you want there is a combination of opamps that is said to make it sound like a predator 'clone' why you would want that I dont know ;P never liked the preddy, much preferred the pico when it was a 2 horse race, but with the D10 and upgraded opamps (yes its as easy as Punkaroo says) you get a wonderful sounding dac witgh a pretty good amp. predator has a pretty average sounding dac IMO, with a pretty decent amp. D10 is more flexible sounds even better via optical or coax which allows high resolution audio, not doable on predator. oh yeah and then there is the price
wink.gif
even if they were the same price I would still recommend the D10. then later down the track you can use the line out function with a fullsize amp for the senns. no contest IMO.

if its only power you are after, then possibly the predator should be the one, because even with upgraded opamps the D10 doesnt have quite the gain of the RSA, but its really not that much of an issue; IMO the pros far outweighs the cons between those 2. pico would be closer, but thats even more expensive and still only has power in its favor

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 12
Power isn't the be-all-and-end-all factor - the sound is! I just didn't want to end up with something that wouldn't be capable.....but after some further reading, that doesn't seem to be the case with the D10! Besides, I don't listen to music THAT loud.

Unfortunately, cost is also a major factor and I think that, combined with the versatility of the D10, has won me over!

Now, to find someone who wants to sell me their little amp?!?!

Anyone.......??

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0051215 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not running a Mac (bit of an apple hater to be honest!) so the Apogee's no good for me. Not heard of the XM5 before - so will take a closer look......back to the D10 for a minute though - how easy is it to roll the opamps?

Thanks

yes it changes the sound signature quiet a lot, as for the output power, i used to have the volume knob at the 4o'clock position (it starts at about 7 goes past 12 and top is around 5) with the 2141/8201 it's at the 12o'clock position now (about half of full power) and sound much better then stock (tho it might be due to the burn in time as well)
you MUST get the new opamp topkit from Hiflight if your getting the D10...

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I own both.....I might sell you the Pred? Just sayin'....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back