Amp/DAC choice issues for the Sennheiser HD 650
Dec 25, 2014 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cerebrius

New Head-Fier
This audio hobby sure isn't an easy one is it. LOL

So I am fairly certain that I will be buying the Sennheiser HD 650.  Reading all the reviews and dozens of threads the need for an amp and DAC appear to be recommended.

I felt like the choice of getting a combo of Schiit Vali and Modi would do the trick.  BUT... I normally buy from Amazon for convenience but as of this evening the Vali and Modi were either priced higher or not available on Amazon.  So I thought why not go to the Schiit store and buy.  Well they have a 15% restocking fee should I decide that they are not what I wanted and other issues I found between Amazon and Shiit.  I really hate the stupid games retailers play. So now I prefer a different competitor brand.  

Outside of the aforementioned products, can you awesome people give me some choices.  

Amp and DAC or AMP-DAC Combo.  Budget $200 ish.  The unit(s) are preferably used from the home and does not need to be portable.  

Thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 4

Well they have a 15% restocking fee should I decide that they are not what I wanted and other issues I found between Amazon and Shiit.  I really hate the stupid games retailers play. So now I prefer a different competitor brand.

To be fair, you have to understand that Schiit isn't producing them in massive quantities where business economics can still turn a profit even with all the man-hours they would spend processing returns. Plus you still get a longer "rent trial" period than the return period for other mass-produced items (it's also meant to deter people who might want to just try them out, period - which is something you don't get otherwise). I mean, Schiit said it on their own blurb - try getting your local Hi-Fi store to lend you any of their gear for that long so you can try it out at home with all your other gear, just to figure out whether you like it. If the item has been with you that long other products can only be returned, for example, if it's under warranty and you're having it replaced, or if you haven't opened the packaging. If you have, well, you're paying a 10% to 20% restocking fee.

It's kind of like buying a graphics card now, then deciding one month later that the fan noise or coil whine that the manufacturer claims is "within spec/normal operation" is just too much noise for you, so you return it and pay the restocking fee.

Oh and uh...one of the other highly recommended brands with comparable products, AudioGD, is in China. Your processing gets a bit of a delay for translation, and I don't know how their return policy works, but AFAIK it's only for defective units. Then there's the cost of shipping back to, then for the replacement or repaired unit coming from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back