Amp considerations and help with DAC for Ultrasone HFI-780's
Mar 24, 2010 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TouchOfEvil

Head-Fier
Right now i'm looking into maybe running a Matrix M-stage amp or a Little Dot MK V but i still don't know what dac to consider.
confused_face(1).gif

Do you guys think these amps would do well with the 780's?
Any suggestions on a dac to pair with it? Would like to keep the Dac around 200 or less hopefully.
beerchug.gif

My source for the most part will be my PC and i want desktop, no portables......i hate batteries lol.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 7
Right now, all I can say is get solid state
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the ALO-780 and am doing a 4 day trade with my MAD Ear+ HD for a Burson HA-160, so I can give you my impressions of that (even though it's probably WAY too expensive for you), at least it gives you an idea of how much better or worse solid state amps are for the Ultrasone's
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Are the two amps i was looking at not SS? I thought they were....
triportsad.gif

Right now i'm using a integrated and honestly it seems to not have enough power for them. If i use the laptop they are not very loud and get distorted if i use the boosters. On the integrated they get louder by a little and have a bit more control but not complete control which leads to distortion if turned up too loud. Again they are reaching an average volume not LOUD or anything.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 7
The ultrasone 780 should be pretty good without an amp from what I have read. Though maybe the darker uDAC would pair well with the bright ultrasones.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ultrasone 780 should be pretty good without an amp from what I have read.

So far i can't say i feel this way. My Pana HJE900's sound far better. My Nano actually seems to push the 780 decently but certainly not to a performance level.
frown.gif

As for the uDac...how dark? like completely kill the high end or just tame it a bit?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 7
SS is solid state, no tubes at all
biggrin.gif
Those two amps, MKV and Matrix-M stage are SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back