amp connections
Jul 26, 2001 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FunkeHomosapien

Head-Fier
Does plugging a headphone amp into the tape out of a preamp instead of directly to the source make a big difference in sound quality? Would I be able to hear a difference with my equipment?

I am using a NAD c540 cdp -> Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII -> Arcam Alpha One preamp. I plan on using a Corda amp with Senn 600.

Jul 26, 2001 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by FunkeHomosapien
Does plugging a headphone amp into the tape out of a preamp instead of directly to the source make a big difference in sound quality? Would I be able to hear a difference with my equipment?

I am using a NAD c540 cdp -> Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII -> Arcam Alpha One preamp. I plan on using a Corda amp with Senn 600.

For many, this is the only practical solution. If your headphone rig is part of a bigger system then it's likely the best choice you've got. Regarding sound quality degradation: Source to amp directly is obviously best. I'm not familiar with your preamp, but I'd assume it's good because it's Arcam. If you try both configurations, you may not even be able to hear much of a difference.

Jul 26, 2001 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

For the "purist", the most direct path of connection would be "best" as the signal will have less circuitry and cables to go thru. However, for versatility, utilising the tape loop connection would be the more practical option (ie. switching between headphone and spkrs listening is far less of a hassle) and its really up to the individual concern ... and I guess it also depends whether if you tend to use your headphones more of the time, or the spkrs more.

In reality, the sonic differences may be marginal but certainly discernible especially if you have a revealing pair of headphones like the HD600. In your case, the Interlink 400 ics would not do the HD600 any favours though, IMHO.

Still, the only thing to know for sure is to try both configurations yourself. Only that way can you reliably decide as components and ICs interact with each other differently.

Good luck,
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 12
I wanted to know because I was thinking of asking Jan Meier to put a pass-through in the Corda. Don't even know if he would do it though, just wondering if it would be worth the extra cost.

Also, what are some good interconnects for under $100 for the Corda and 600s

Jul 26, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 12
You may want to try the DH-Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II interconnects. A 1-meter used pair can be had for around $40-$50 online, or you can get a demo pair from tri-audio for $90 (how I got mine). Slightly bright sound for some, but detailed and delicate sound to me.
wink.gif

I don't have much experience with other interconnects (only in systems that I'm not really familiar with), but so far I love my DH Labs.

Jul 26, 2001 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

DanG wrote

but so far I love my DH Labs.

I'm with DanG on this one. I liked my first pair of Silver Sonics so much (thanks Jude) that I ended up buying a second pair (thanks Arnett).

Jul 27, 2001 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I wanted to know because I was thinking of asking Jan Meier to put a pass-through in the Corda. Don't even know if he would do it though, just wondering if it would be worth the extra cost.

Also, what are some good interconnects for under $100 for the Corda and 600s

Hi Funke,

Hmmm, ... not sure what you mean by a "pass-thru" ... but if your Corda can be slotted into a tape loop of your pre, this would suggest the Corda will already have been equipped with a pair of RCA inputs (L and R channels) to receive signal, and a set of RCA outputs for sending signal out. Wouldn't that be the "pass-thru" option that you're perhaps referring to ?

To be honest, I feel its more benefical to upgrade your Monster ics first, as the initial step. Do one step at a time. Once you have your ICs sorted out, experiment and decide with the connection options you have considered, to see if the differences are marginal or not ... and by then, you can consider if you can leave with the sonic differences (or not), and decide if its worthwhile to incur anymore costs in terms of modifying your Corda with a "pass-thru" option you mentioned, whatever that might be.

Also, though the NAD cdp is a good value cdp for the performance, it is still a "mid-budget" cdp and hence you have to consider if is it worthwhile to mod your Corda when maybe a better front end source may well be a better "investment" option ? Sure, I recognise you have a dedicated and decent headphone amp and an excellent pair of high-end sounding HD600s but can your front end source really capitalise on them in the sonic department ? Hmmm ... some thinking and experiemting to do , eh ...

All the best,
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2001 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 12
darrylnz: Sorry for not being more specific. I meant adding a set of RCA outputs so I could connect it like this

cdp -> Corda -> integrated amp

instead of

cdp -> integrated amp -> Corda

This way I could buy a decent interconnect to connect the cdp to the Corda and use the monster cable to connect the Corda to my integrated amp. My speakers don't have the same resolution and don't need as good of a connection as the Senns. I would listen to headphones more often too.

Headroom reccomends the Kimber Kable PBJ ($79) and the DiMarzio ($89). Are these good values?

Jul 27, 2001 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 12
When I had it before it went back to Musical Fidelity I had my x-cans v2 hooked up to my tape loop on my Marantz 66 KI Signature amp and it sounded pretty damned good with a pair of 565 Ovations and a pair of van den hul dIII 102b Interconnects, The main source is a Marantz 63 KI signature cd player, though sometimes I listen to the radio through the Sky Digibox, some of which is broadcast in digital. Which is handy as where I live on the south coast of england (where for a change its bloomin hot and looks set to stay that way for at least a fortnight
cool.gif
) we dont get it broadcast yet!! In fact the van den huls were so good I swopped them back on to the main source and it looks like I am going to have to get another set now for the amp when I get it back (two weeks to go by my reckoning
mad.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 12
The Corda doesn't have a RCA output. You would want to add one after the first stage before the volume control and crossfeed. Jan showed this connection in his DIY article in Headwize, so you could go this route. You could try a Y connector out of your CDP, which would be the same as an unbuffered passthru. If this works it would be a cheap and easy solution. I would suspect that just using the tape output of your preamp would give you good results and it's pretty easy to try and find out.

The cable will affect the sound, so it depends what you're looking for. If you want a good cable that's not too bright you might try the MIT T2 which can be bought on a 30 day trial through Audio Advisor at a good price. If you have basic soldering skills (or are willing to get them) you can make your own cables cheaply. You can get PBJ wire for $3.40 per foot, so you can make a 1 meter pair for $30-40. I made a headphone extention cable from this and it sounded good, so I plan to try a interconnect cable after I get some more wire.

Jul 29, 2001 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

darrylnz: Sorry for not being more specific. I meant adding a set of RCA outputs so I could connect it like this

cdp -> Corda -> integrated amp

instead of

cdp -> integrated amp -> Corda

This way I could buy a decent interconnect to connect the cdp to the Corda and use the monster cable to connect the Corda to my integrated amp. My speakers don't have the same resolution and don't need as good of a connection as the Senns. I would listen to headphones more often too.

Headroom reccomends the Kimber Kable PBJ ($79) and the DiMarzio ($89). Are these good values?

Hi Funke,

I am not familiar with the DiMarzio and really cannot offer any subjective comments on them.

PBJ - Honestly, I like them and own two pairs. I eventually upgraded to the KK Silver Streaks for use with my main source and relegated my PBJs to my secondary sources. IMO, these are surprisingly revealing ICs for the money, BUT you should note that the PBJs could be "unpredictable" when it comes to system matching. It goes without saying that in general, all ICs will interact differently from one system to another, but PBJs seemed to polarise subjective opinions. Though the PBJs sounded acceptable in my system, there are some users that did not like them outright ... or some users have found them subjectively "bright or toppy". In short, buy the PBJs with care, ie., preferably after some auditioning if you can, ... or arrange with the dealer "a trial period/money back guarantee" , just in case you did not like the sound of the PBJs.

Not sure of pricing in your country but perhaps you could check out/consider the WireWorld Polaris ICs as another alternative, to other ICs suggested by other posters ? Polaris, in my subjective opinion, is a tonally balanced (neutral) sounding IC, attractively transparent and would certainly be a significant improvement over the Interlink 400. Overall system compatibility, generally speaking, is relatively more versatile/safer, when say compared to the PBJs. Oh, not knocking PBJs ... I love them in my system and are highly capable wires for the money but I suspect they are more "fussy" with system matching.

Cheers,
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back