Amp Connection Choices ???s
Jan 7, 2008 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my first desktop amp, a Little Dot MK V, and I can see two methods of connecting it to my system. And my basic question is about sound quality.

1) Interconnects between the LD amp and my Arcam CD player, which has two RCA output jacks. One jack is currently connected to my Arcam amp.

2) Interconnects between the LD amp and the tape-out jacks on the Arcam amp.

I know that method #2 allows me to listen to headphones with any source, not just the CD player.

However, I intend to nearly always listen just to CDs via headphones. So would method #1 give better sound quality, since it's direct between the source and the LD amp (without going through the Arcam amp)?

Also, since the LD amp has two RCA input jacks, I can also connect an iPod cradle directly to the LD as well, giving me two audio sources.

Thanks for all opinionated opinions and experiences,

Dave

Headphones: AKG K701, Grado SR-80, Etymotic 4P/S
Amps: Little Dot MK V, Headroom Total AirHead, Arcam A80
Sources: Arcam CD93, iPod Classic
Interconnects: RS Audio Solid Silver

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 3
Perhaps I didn't ask my original question clearly enough. So, to rephrase:

In terms of sound quality, is it better to connect a solid-state desktop headphone amp directly to the source's output or through the main system amp's tape out jack?

I know I can try both, but getting to the jacks is a minor PITA...so perspective from others would be helpful.

Dave

========================================
Headphones: AKG K701, Grado SR-80, Etymotic 4P/S
Amps: Little Dot MK V, Headroom Total AirHead, Arcam A80
Sources: Arcam CD93, iPod Classic
Interconnects: RS Audio Solid Silver
========================================

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 3
Its always better to connect your Headphone amp directly to the line level output. I guess that would mean you have to go with step #1. The second method has its uses like you mentioned, but from a purely SQ pov, #1 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back