Amp clipping?
May 29, 2004 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zombietycho

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a Technics CD changer from a garage sale and I decided to hook it to my headphones.

Since it has no headphone out, and my only amp is a supermini, I used a RCA-Mini cord and just hooked the RCA outs to the supermini.

Everything went well and I was actually enjoying the sound until I realized some higher freq. sounds were clipping.

Now I realize that the super mini is no Hi-Fi amp, but is it the physical limitations of the Supermini that are causing this clipping?

Also, would investing in a nicer amp result in a better signal? Any other recommendations?

Thanks y'all

May 30, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 10
It's hard to say. In theory, if this is actually clipping (i.e., amp is underpowered for desired volume), if you turn the volume down sufficiently it should not clip anymore. If it still clips after you turn down the volume, it may be something else.

May 30, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 10
I think it's your cd
tongue.gif

May 30, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Deff not the CD, right now I've got the CD player going into my MD deck's analog IN and then out to my headphones. It works fine that way, but would be better if I could amp it.

May 30, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Try putting on some bass heavy music and see if it also distorts. It probably will, and it is likely due to the fact that the mini is being overdriven by the output signal from your source.

May 30, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, I don't think it's the mini's fault all by itself. The last time I heard one, many generations of minis ago, it sounded great coming out of all sorts of sources. Competition for my meta42 at the time.

May 30, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 10
if turning down the volume does not relatively lower the clipping amount, what is most likely happening is that your cd player's outputs are too hot. some cd players have really high-voltage outputs (most pro players)... and many audiophile preamps or headamps or whatever cannot accept such powerful signals. there are in-line attenuators (goes between your cable and the jack) that will lower the volume to an acceptable volume.

i've encountered this problem with my ASL MG Head and a tubed preamp.

heck, if you need attenuators, i'll sell you mine... i got extra.

EDIT: oops... that's basically what servinginecuador said.
icon10.gif

May 31, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 10
You guys rock!
I thought it had something to do with this, and I just wanted to run it by the pros.

I think'll be looking at a home amp then. However I'll PM you about the cable.

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombietycho
You guys rock!
I thought it had something to do with this, and I just wanted to run it by the pros.

What was the problem?

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 10
Pretty much what you said.
The CD player was just to much for the supermini.

I now remember a instance were I had to turn down the output of my MD deck so I could listen to a album without any "Brick Walling".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back