Amp cleaning & maintenance
Jan 4, 2005 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Asmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I was wondering what do you guys use to clean your amps and audio gear? Such as volume pots, general dust removal, headphone jacks, cd trays, headphones?, etc.

What types of cleaner is safe to use on the front that won't scratch? Just use compressed air for the inside to remove dust? Thanks for any tips
580smile.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 3
I just fixed a crackling/staticky volume pot on my Denon receiver using MG Chemicals super contact cleaner and some fancy MG cotton swaps-- tapered, static free, birch shaft, etc... I just asked the guy at the local electronic supply store what to buy.
wink.gif

Anyway, the static is eliminated after lubing down the internals and the cleaner also removed all the dull oxication on my rca jacks. Quite satisfied. I love it when things work.

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 3
For pots I use Caig DeoxIt.

To clean jacks I use Caig ProGold and Qtips.

To clean and protect brushed aluminum panels there is nothing better than Stainless Steel Magic and a soft cloth and Qtips.

The only way I dust my gear is with a turkey or ostrich feather duster. It gets all the nooks and crannies and is great for dusting those tubes. If you dust your gear this way you'll never run the risk of putting swirl marks in the finish/paint of your components. A turkey duster only costs a few dollars and an ostrich duster is quite a bit more but is also much softer.

I have had very good results cleaning the interior of filthy vintage amps/tuners by blowing the bunnies out with compressed air and then with the amp on an incline, spraying it down with Caig CaiKleen 41 Cleaner/Degreaser. The residue will flow down hill and out the case and the carrier fluid then evaporates. Great product, but read the directions since some inferior plastics may be susceptible to softening or etching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back