Amp choices for Stax Omega II
Apr 1, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #61 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, according to those that have heard or own both the Omega II and the HE90 that is a statement up for discussion. Some prefer the Omega II, and other ones prefer the HE90. Meaning that there are no clear winner!

Yes, but he owns the HE90s.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #62 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

It's the best reason for not accepting that the SR-007 is better...
rolleyes.gif

The Jecklins can't play with the big boys but the Beyer ET1000 could after a few mods.

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #63 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Exactly! Meaning that he is a bit biased when it comes to picking out the "best" sounding one.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #64 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly! Meaning that he is a bit biased when it comes to picking out the "best" sounding one.

Not really, I think you're confusing cause and effect. I heard the Stax driven by everything from the Stax amps to the KGSS/Blue Hawaii and the SinglePower gear and I could never understand why anyone would buy one. So far I haven't heard them do anything that a good dynamic couldn't match. I ran into the HE-90 and instantly understood why people would buy it and why it was worth the money. More importantly, the polls that have been held back me up with about a 10 to 1 landslide in favor of the HE-90.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #65 of 93
IMO, O2 owners are just jealous of HE90 owners!
wink.gif
Us common folks are jealous of you O2 owners
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #67 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should put it in perspective for you, a 16 to 1 drubbing...

A poll where the participants do not own or have owned the phones for any long period of time and have compared them in a controlled environment is the is the best way to decide what the best headphone is. My comments in that thread are right on the money. The He90 is fine for easy listening but when the going gets tough they run for the hills...

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, O2 owners are just jealous of HE90 owners!
wink.gif
Us common folks are jealous of you O2 owners
tongue.gif

Yes I'm very jealous of myself, in fact I can't stand me...
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #68 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A poll where the participants do not own or have owned the phones for any long period of time and have compared them in a controlled environment is the is the best way to decide what the best headphone is.

I'll ignore the gramatical errors in that and assume you're saying that the best way to compare headphones isn't by polling the folks that have heard both of them and that only by owning them for an extended period of time is your opinion valid.

That wasn't the conversation we were having. In the original post, he was stating that a significant number of those who had listened to both preferred the Stax. As shown by the poll that is not a correct statement of fact, 7% isn't all that significant.

If you want to change the conversation to reflect only those who have owned both the overwhelming majority of people I know of who have owned both clearly feel the HE-90 is the superior headphone. Sure you might love your Stax but the majority of people just aren't going to agree with you.

Quote:

My comments in that thread are right on the money.

LOL, I'm glad you think your comments are right on the money, we were hoping you'd render a decision on that!
icon10.gif
Usually we let other people make that assessment.
wink.gif

Quote:

The He90 is fine for easy listening but when the going gets tough they run for the hills...

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that statement. With the original HEV-90 I have heard them have issues with heavy bass and they were a bit more euphonic than I cared for but I haven't heard that with the newer generation of amplifiers. I think you might be confusing the shortcomings of the amplifier with those of the headphone.

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #70 of 93
spritzer - Is it possible that your HE90 is malfunctioning? Have you compared it's performance to that of other HE90s? When mine seemed to lack bass, and consequently fullness of sound, I returned it to Sennheiser under warranty, and they replaced internal parts for free. It now sounds fabulous, although I haven't yet compared it with other HE90s. My first chance to do so will be in early June.

Quote:

A poll where the participants do not own or have owned the phones for any long period of time and have compared them in a controlled environment is the is the best way to decide what the best headphone is. My comments in that thread are right on the money. The He90 is fine for easy listening but when the going gets tough they run for the hills...

Yes I'm very jealous of myself, in fact I can't stand me...
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #71 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spritzer - Is it possible that your HE90 is malfunctioning? Have you compared it's performance to that of other HE90s? When mine seemed to lack bass, and consequently fullness of sound, I returned it to Sennheiser under warranty, and they replaced internal parts for free. It now sounds fabulous, although I haven't yet compared it with other HE90s. My first chance to do so will be in early June.

Did our HE90 lack bass / fullness of sound in both earcups?

If so, it's kinda strange, I mean, what might have been that part that did not function correctly by pair?

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #72 of 93
Quote:

I'll ignore the gramatical errors in that and assume you're saying that the best way to compare headphones isn't by polling the folks that have heard both of them and that only by owning them for an extended period of time is your opinion valid.

That wasn't the conversation we were having. In the original post, he was stating that a significant number of those who had listened to both preferred the Stax. As shown by the poll that is not a correct statement of fact, 7% isn't all that significant.

I shouldn't post complicated posts when I haven't slept for 36 hours. I could always post it in Icelandic if you prefer...

Short meet impressions are worthless. People will always walk away in awe of the Orpheus but like every think that impresses you at first they fall short in the long run. I've talked about this enough over the last year and I'm tired of it. Bottom line is that if your system isn't good enough the SR-007 will punish dearly but the He90 is happy with what they've got. When they are put in a very fast and transparent system this is reversed.

Quote:

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that statement. With the original HEV-90 I have heard them have issues with heavy bass and they were a bit more euphonic than I cared for but I haven't heard that with the newer generation of amplifiers. I think you might be confusing the shortcomings of the amplifier with those of the headphone.

I haven't heard the HEV-90 for years so I'm not basing my findings on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't compared them to another pair but they aren't lacking bass, rather they are missing parts of the bass information. This is fine with some albums and very annoying on others. They have the same thumping bass as the HD600 and it's about par with a Lambda Signature but different in color and texture.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #73 of 93
Spritzer,I can't understand why you haven't sent your HE90's back to Sennheiser to have them fixed,or at least inspected.I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon here,but you do bash the HE90's quite a bit.I'll admit,I'm an HE90 fanboy,but most are after hearing them.There was such a pronounced difference between my pair and MikeG's,it really was remarkable.Mike's were so bass shy I felt bad for him,although I must admit I was relieved they weren't mine(all fixed now I hope).If you explained to them in your own words what you think they are missing,I'm positive they could help you,or at least give an opinion on the matter.I'm not saying you will like them better than the O2's but why not give it a shot.Take care,Gary.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #74 of 93
Gpalmer,I didn't post in your other thread,but have you listened to the O2's through the Aristaeus yet?I totally agree that it removes the warm,round,euphonic sound the HEV90 imparts on the HE90 and IMO,gives you a truer representation of the music,but I'm only going from memory.This could be a good match with the O2's on the used market.Gary.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #75 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer,I can't understand why you haven't sent your HE90's back to Sennheiser to have them fixed,or at least inspected.I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon here,but you do bash the HE90's quite a bit.I'll admit,I'm an HE90 fanboy,but most are after hearing them.There was such a pronounced difference between my pair and MikeG's,it really was remarkable.Mike's were so bass shy I felt bad for him,although I must admit I was relieved they weren't mine(all fixed now I hope).If you explained to them in your own words what you think they are missing,I'm positive they could help you,or at least give an opinion on the matter.I'm not saying you will like them better than the O2's but why not give it a shot.Take care,Gary.

It isn't easy for me to ship them out of the country and the Sennheiser dealer here isn't all that great.

I'm not bashing the He90 but they aren't as perfect as people say they are. They aren't bad but they do many things wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back