Amp and speakers on a budget? The Lepai or a second hand amp like Pioneer A209??
Dec 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moroz

New Head-Fier
Looking at getting a budget but decent setup for Xmas. Don't want to spend more than €150!

I want to connect it to my tv but it will mainly be used for listening to music from my laptop and my HTC One Android phone.

Im thinking Lepai LP-2020 amp  and Wharfdale 9.0 speakers to go with it. Is this a good match?
I mainly listen to rock music - Muse, Placebo, Radiohead and stuff like Sigur Ros etc but like to play dance music with heavy bass sometimes to. I read the Wharfdale has poor bass so was thinking of a subwoofer. What do you recommend? Must also be budget!

Or am I better at just buying a second hand amp like a Pioneer A209, would that be better than the Lepai? It looks like the Lepai may be difficult to connect to a sub, the Pioneer should have no problem with it?? The Pioneer can be got second hand for about €50, looks like Ill pay about €25 for the Lepai, will the Pioneer be the better option?

As Im going to to run this music from my phone and TV, would a DAC like the Behringer make big difference?

Is there anything else I should consider? Anything Im missing?

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't know the Wharfdale speakers, so I can't speak to them.

On the subwoofer, if you get a subwoofer with high-level inputs and outputs and a crossover control, then you can easily use it with the Lepai amp. Something similar to this one: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Unless your TV has a digital output, a DAC is of no use. I would not bother with trying to put a DAC on your phone or your TV to feed the Lepai.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Cheers for the info. Would the pioneer be a better bet than the lepai do you think? I can't get that sub in Ireland without paying a lot in postage, but will look for something similar.  I presume it would be a nice addition Andes worth the extra cash

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 5
From what I could tell, the A-209 also does not have a subwoofer line-out, so you have the same situation either way.

I do think the Pioneer is a better amp - assuming that it's operating properly and has not aged poorly. As with all older amps, be careful of scratchy knobs and leaking capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back