Amp and DAC Upgrade?
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
I will be upgrading my amp and DAC soon, with a pretty decent budget. I'm willing to spend $1700 total on the upgrade.

For now it will be used with my D5000 with partial mods (see sig), but in the future I plan to upgrade to one of the following 3 headphones:

- DX1000
- LA7000
- T1

I really am clueless as to what to get at this pricepoint but I was looking at a few options, 2 of which are $700 under my budget so I don't know what I could improve from there.

- HeadRoom Desktop Ultra Amp/DAC (~$1700)
- Audio-GD C2 & DAC19 DSP-1 Version (~$1000)
- Heed Canamp and Dactilus (~$1200)

Now out of those I'm kind of leaning towards the Audio-GD combo or HeadRoom box, because I've heard nothing but great things about both, and that both are quite neutral yet neither is cold or analytical. As far as the Heed options go, I know the Canamp is quite highly regarded (although I don't know about in comparison to the other two), but I've heard next to nothing about the Dactilus.

What would be some good combos in the sub-$1700 range for me?
-

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 13
Stello DA100 and Meir Corda Concerto should serve you well
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 13
Check out Headroom's B-Stock clearance page.

They have the $1,499 HR Balanced Desktop AMP /w DAC for only $649.... I think this is a seriously great deal. Only 1 left and I'm not sure how long its gonna last. I would definitely pick it up if I was in your situation

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Headroom's B-Stock clearance page.

They have the $1,499 HR Balanced Desktop AMP /w DAC for only $649.... I think this is a seriously great deal. Only 1 left and I'm not sure how long its gonna last. I would definitely pick it up if I was in your situation

I had the SE HR Desktop, it's not all that fantastic.

All it is is the Micro Amp/DAC in 1 box with better connectivity, which means componentry-wise it's only worth about $600 if you go by the MSRP of the Micros.

Now admittedly the balanced factor is nice, but I'm not looking at this for a very slight step up in componentry and balanced functionality, then have to pay another $50 to have my headphones reterminated. I'm looking at this to be a huge step up for single ended componentry.

Unless the Balanced HR Desktop is much better than the standard Desktop amp, which I doubt. It's probably very similar just with balanced functionality. I don't think it would drive the T1s properly, although it'd probably power the other 2 options just fine.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if hes selling international but this guy is selling Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA for $1650....

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/f-...na-hpa-471788/

?

Tempting, but I'm not ready to make the purchase this second, if he's still selling when I'm ready to buy I might hit him up.

Also, for the first person that responded, the Concerto isn't available until March or April, and I'm a sucker for matched products so would the Stello HP100 and DA100 be a good combo?

If so, there's another to add to the list.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 13
What about Channel Islands products?

DAC: CIAudio VDA-2 (599 USD) + VAC-1 PSU (179 USD)
Amp: CIAudio VHP-2 (399 USD) + VAC-1 PSU (179 USD)

The DAC has two digital inputs and two sets of analog outputs. And, it can output a balanced signal. AND!!!! If you decide to get another VHP-2, later... you could do this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cha...ystems-256397/

I've loved my DAC and I've had it for about 2 years, now. I have not run it balanced, yet, but I am dying to do so.

Also, since you're a sucker for matched components, CI Audio would have you covered. And you could upgrade the PSUs as you wish... putting a PSU on the DAC only, the headamp only, or a PSU for each... however you like.

Anyway, they are also very neat looking products. I know that's a minor point to some, but they do look well designed.

Channel Islands Audio

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm kind of suprised the Audio-GD Roc or Phoenix isn't on your list. I'd probably go with one of those instead of the C2. Should be able to fall within your budget, plus you have the option of using balanced phones.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of suprised the Audio-GD Roc or Phoenix isn't on your list. I'd probably go with one of those instead of the C2. Should be able to fall within your budget, plus you have the option of using balanced phones.

It would fit into my budget, but would the DAC19 be a good enough DAC to merit getting either of those?

By that I mean, does it even output balanced? The Roc fits into my budget, the Pheonix does not. If ACSS is balanced then it would appear the DAC19 does output in balanced, however it is not a recommended match to go with the Roc by Kingwa.

The lowest priced thing Kingwa recommends that is still available (Ref 2 isn't sold anymore apparently), is the DAC9-MK3 which comes in at $1100 which would put me over budget.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now out of those I'm kind of leaning towards the Audio-GD combo ... because I've heard nothing but great things....

Let me add my $.02, then. I found the C-2C very detailed, but with an artificially widened soundstage. As a result, I felt it lacked a sense of cohesion. It is fairly neutral, but it can also sound thin, and - in my experience of it - a bit lifeless. After a couple weeks of trying to adjust, I finally just couldn't. I found that with the C-2C I wasn't looking forward to coming home and listening to headphones anymore, but I actually felt a kind of aversion to it, like "ugh, I think I'll just listen to speakers." Obviously that is not what you want in an amp.
tongue.gif
Everyone's different of course, but that's how I experienced it.

Btw, I used it with the MS-1s, DT880s and V-DAC in my sig.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would fit into my budget, but would the DAC19 be a good enough DAC to merit getting either of those?

By that I mean, does it even output balanced? The Roc fits into my budget, the Pheonix does not. If ACSS is balanced then it would appear the DAC19 does output in balanced, however it is not a recommended match to go with the Roc by Kingwa.

The lowest priced thing Kingwa recommends that is still available (Ref 2 isn't sold anymore apparently), is the DAC9-MK3 which comes in at $1100 which would put me over budget.

Once this is answered it's going to probably come down to the Heed combo, whatever Audio-GD combo I decide on, the Stello combo (how is their headphone amp?), or the Channel Islands combo (don't know much about these guys but I like what I'm reading).

Any comments between those 4 when it comes to matching with the LA7000s. Obviously the Roc/DAC combo would be best as it's balanced, but if that's not an option due to issues finding the appropriate DAC, then it comes down to the above-mentioned comparisons.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 13
From my understanding ACSS isn't really the same as either 'balanced' or 'single-ended' although it's closer to balanced. It bypasses the I/V (current/voltage) conversion that normally takes place for either balaned or SE outputs and (more) directly attaches the DAC current output to the current input of the amp. So in theory it's better than balanced because there are fewer I/V conversions, normally there would be an I/V conversion for output from a DAC then a V/I conversion for input to the amp. Even though he might not recommend it because the levels within the lineup aren't the same it seems to me that the Roc and DAC-19 DSP1 would make a good match for a compact system, iirc the Roc has AACS input.

This may be partially or totally wrong though, someone feel free to correct.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stello DA100 and Meir Corda Concerto should serve you well
smily_headphones1.gif

The Stello DA100 is far from neutral which is the requirement of the OP.

Necro'lic, I think the DAC19/C2 is a reasonable option since it will give you more leeway in your budget. You can spend the rest buying one of your dream headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back