AMP and DAC for Beyerdynamic DT880 250-ohm
Feb 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aussiejuggalo

Head-Fier
So I got me a nice set of Beyerdynamic DT880 250-ohm headphones now I want an external AMP & DAC to go with it
biggrin.gif
, currently have an Asus STX sound card but wanna move to external stuff

Im considering the Schiit Audio Asgard 2 & Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC USB Gen 2 but it would mean I'd need to buy a new power board so Im just wondering is there any AMP, DAC all in ones that would do the job nicely? I have no problem dropping up to $1500 on it, also plan on getting the HD800s eventually to so future proofing

Also I need to be able to connect my Swam M50W speakers to whatever I get

Thanks
atsmile.gif

Im a n00b with audio btw 
redface.gif

Edit, Will also take suggestions on separate amp & dacs as weel

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 14
I think you will find the greatest difference in the following order of significance: headphones, amp, and then DAC. I do not see spending that amount of money on an integrated unit. For *much* less you should be able to get good quality gear. I find many recommending a tube amp to me for my DT880 250-ohms. Just something to consider.

Bob Graham

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 14
Is there really that much of a difference between separate amps & dacs over an all in one unit? :confused_face(1):

I seen a lot of people pushing tube amps for everything lol, I dont wanna get into them until I learn more :p

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 14
I do not think there is a practical difference between separates and an integrated unit. What difference there is I think will be very small depending how critical of a listener you are. I use an O2D by JDS Labs. You can get better. But the quality is surprising for the money I spent on it.  And it pairs well with my DT880s. Others will be able to help you with the more expensive stuff. JMHO

Bob Graham

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 14
Ah yeah, I think anything external would be better then my current Asus STX sound card :p

I would rather have an all in one but I suppose I would go separate AMP & DAC if it was a good set up

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Daily bump

Will also consider separate AMP, DAC setupif you have any suggestions :smile:

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Bump

No one else has suggestions?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 14
I hear the Shiit dac/amps are good. But I do not know if they are good enough for you. 

Bob Graham

PS: By the way, If you do not get any responses, just deal with it as one of life's disappointments. All is well. :) 

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 14
$1500 for a DAC/amp seems like a little much to spend for $200 headphones (DT880).
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 ($300) or NFB-11.32 ($380), currently Audio-GD is out of stock on these two until mid March.
External DAC & headphone amplifier, also comes with a separate line-out for speakers.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 14
I hear the Shiit dac/amps are good. But I do not know if they are good enough for you. 

Bob Graham

PS: By the way, If you do not get any responses, just deal with it as one of life's disappointments. All is well. :) 

I hear they are good amps but I just wanna know if something else out there is better, also dont know if they would be good for the HD800s, which I do plan to get eventually

$1500 for a DAC/amp seems like a little much to spend for $200 headphones (DT880).
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 ($300) or NFB-11.32 ($380), currently Audio-GD is out of stock on these two until mid March.
External DAC & headphone amplifier, also comes with a separate line-out for speakers.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Eventually I plan on getting the HD800s thats why I have no problem spending so much Id even bump it up to $2000 AUD seeing everything costs more here, I would rather spend heaps first up rather then slowly upgrade as I buy headphones

I did have a look at them, they look pretty good but hows the quality?

Hows the Burson Audio stuff?, it looks really nice but I know its expensive as sin and I hear its better then the Schiit stuff

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 14
I hear they are good amps but I just wanna know if something else out there is better, also dont know if they would be good for the HD800s, which I do plan to get eventually
Eventually I plan on getting the HD800s thats why I have no problem spending so much Id even bump it up to $2000 AUD seeing everything costs more here, I would rather spend heaps first up rather then slowly upgrade as I buy headphones

I did have a look at them, they look pretty good but hows the quality?

I've been using the NFB-15.32 for the past few months to drive all my headphones, no regrets
The 15.32 & 11.32 are Audio-GD's low priced DAC/amp, check out their higher priced DAC/amps.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 14
I've been using the NFB-15.32 for the past few months to drive all my headphones, no regrets
The 15.32 & 11.32 are Audio-GD's low priced DAC/amp, check out their higher priced DAC/amps.

Ah ok, thanks I'll have a look :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 14
I use a Modi + Asgard 2 for my DT880s and they sound wonderful.  I've noticed the DT880s are very particular with their amps as they can be very bright with certain amps.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 14
I use a Modi + Asgard 2 for my DT880s and they sound wonderful.  I've noticed the DT880s are very particular with their amps as they can be very bright with certain amps.

Thats the combo Im considering atm, the bifrost with USB DAC is gonna cost me $600 :eek:

Was curious on higher end setups and all in ones to

Anyone know how the Asgard 2 is compared to the Burson Soloist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back