AMP and DAC are driving me insane!
Mar 31, 2008 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TSi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

Right now, I'm actually having quite a few problems... well, more like... problems for the wallet. I am actually interested in a desktop setup, and possibly just settle down there.

I am looking for something that will probably be used for my K701 (hopefully i get them). This will be a tube setup hopefully, or maybe something as decent. But then there are some concerns as to whether this setup may work or not.

1. I will be using my macbook as my source... so basically either USB or the mini optical out will be used.
2. If I get an amp, I will need to get a DAC that can be either used through USB or optical, and connect properly to a tube amp.

Right now, I am thinking of this:

1. Macbook (USB) --> EMU0404 (RCA output) --> LD MK3
2. Macbook (Firewire) --> Apogee Duet (this is my last resort, too expensive for an university student)

im pretty sure the LD MK3 takes in RCA, but then I'm not sure if the EMU0404 has an Analog output (RCA to be exact)

If there are other solutions, please let me know, but then I would really like to keep in the range of 200$ish for the amp, and 100$ish for the DAC. This will total up to about 300$ish for amp + dac.

I am planning to sacrifice my portable setup (selling possibly) for a better desktop setup.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EMU0404 does have RCA analog outs, so the macbook->0404->mk3 will work.

oh okay, thanks!
how about the 0202? would that work?

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 16
I'm sorry, it's actually 1/4" outputs, but they're essentially the same thing, if you get a phono to rca adapter, or just use a 3.5mm to RCA interconnect.
Same goes for the 0202

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 16
What kind of headphones do you have? The DAC is essentially to sound quality in your computer-based system, and the EMUs pack a whole lot of hardware-based signal processing (pots, jacks, etc) in there for very little money. My guess is the DAC is a very inexpensive chip. I'd seriously consider plugging my phones directly into the Mac (which is clean, quiet, not bad at all) and saving up for the Duet.

Tim

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all.

Right now, I'm actually having quite a few problems... well, more like... problems for the wallet. I am actually interested in a desktop setup, and possibly just settle down there.

I am looking for something that will probably be used for my K701 (hopefully i get them). This will be a tube setup hopefully, or maybe something as decent. But then there are some concerns as to whether this setup may work or not.

1. I will be using my macbook as my source... so basically either USB or the mini optical out will be used.
2. If I get an amp, I will need to get a DAC that can be either used through USB or optical, and connect properly to a tube amp.

Right now, I am thinking of this:

1. Macbook (USB) --> EMU0404 (RCA output) --> LD MK3
2. Macbook (Firewire) --> Apogee Duet (this is my last resort, too expensive for an university student)

im pretty sure the LD MK3 takes in RCA, but then I'm not sure if the EMU0404 has an Analog output (RCA to be exact)

If there are other solutions, please let me know, but then I would really like to keep in the range of 200$ish for the amp, and 100$ish for the DAC. This will total up to about 300$ish for amp + dac.

I am planning to sacrifice my portable setup (selling possibly) for a better desktop setup.

If I had power hungry phones like the K701s and limited funds, I'd get an amp first and worry about the DAC later, because that is where you'll get the most bang for your buck in terms of sound quality with those phones.

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had power hungry phones like the K701s and limited funds, I'd get an amp first and worry about the DAC later, because that is where you'll get the most bang for your buck in terms of sound quality with those phones.

Yeah, sorry, I missed the K701s. Amp. Though I still might hold out for more money.

Tim

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

If I get an amp, dont I need to get some sort of DAC so it can convert the signal from my mac TO the amp?

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

If I get an amp, dont I need to get some sort of DAC so it can convert the signal from my mac TO the amp?

No, you can use the line-out (speaker jack) from the mac. There is a DAC in your Mac's soundcard, it just isn't as good as you can get separately.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

No, you can use the line-out (speaker jack) from the mac. There is a DAC in your Mac's soundcard, it just isn't as good as you can get separately.

So If I get a LDMK3, whoat methods would I be using to connect my mac to it?

Macbook (Lineout) --> single plug to dual rca ?? --> LDMK3?

Are there any other 200$ tube amps that I should be aware of?

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

So If I get a LDMK3, whoat methods would I be using to connect my mac to it?

Macbook (Lineout) --> single plug to dual rca ?? --> LDMK3?

Are there any other 200$ tube amps that I should be aware of?

I use s mini-plug to RCA adapter found at Radio Shack and many other fine electronics stores.

i'd go the full $300 on the amp or even do as Tim suggested and save up some more. Also keep an eye on Ebay and the For sale forum here at Head-Fi. Buying used can save you a lot of money

Also I'd do a lot of research on what amps are best for the K701s. Word has it that they are very fussy when it comes to amps. When you use search go to "advanced search" and select "sort by relevance". Try the Google option too, it works pretty well.

Also when shopping for amps, especially the Chinese tube amps, be aware of the cost of shipping, it can be murderous.

Any reason for looking exclusively at tube amps? There are some very nice solid state models out there.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I use s mini-plug to RCA adapter found at Radio Shack and many other fine electronics stores.

i'd go the full $300 on the amp or even do as Tim suggested and save up some more. Also keep an eye on Ebay and the For sale forum here at Head-Fi. Buying used can save you a lot of money

Also I'd do a lot of research on what amps are best for the K701s. Word has it that they are very fussy when it comes to amps. When you use search go to "advanced search" and select "sort by relevance". Try the Google option too, it works pretty well.

Also when shopping for amps, especially the Chinese tube amps, be aware of the cost of shipping, it can be murderous.

Any reason for looking exclusively at tube amps? There are some very nice solid state models out there.

okay, thanks a lot for the info about the plugs. and yes, ive tried reading up a lot of topics on the K701 with amps... they are hard to satisfy.

And yes, tube amps are heavy, so I know the result of trying to stuff shipped from around the world, this is why my budget is a little lower, its to compensate for the "shipping" loss.

But to answer your last question: I'm not really looking exclusively at tube amps, but I have yet to find any SS amps that actually look nice. I really care about the visual effect, considering that when I listen to music, I'd be staring at something, so why not stare at something nice? =D

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I think you should skip the DAC idea, and just spend the money on a good amp. You can always add a DAC later.

I think the Bada PH-12 is great with the K701, and the heed canamp is supposed to be one of the better SS amps to use with it.

Both also look really nice.

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should skip the DAC idea, and just spend the money on a good amp. You can always add a DAC later.

I think the Bada PH-12 is great with the K701, and the heed canamp is supposed to be one of the better SS amps to use with it.

Both also look really nice.

Other than the fact that the Bada PH-12 is a little too expensive for my budget, it does look really nice.
The Canamp, it actually looks like a black box to me, so that kinda have no "visual" appeal... its a little too big lengthwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back