Amp and Closed Headphone Questions
Feb 28, 2007 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I am somewhat new to the headphone world, but I am trying my best to learn from what everyone here has to say. I thought it fitting right now to ask a couple questions about what should be the next couple purchases of mine in terms of sound equipment.

I am moving off campus next year at university, and was initially thinking that I should invest in some large bookshelf or floorstanding speakers with a receiver and the entire setup..

..but now I realized that I have some speakers already that will do the job for the time being, and I am usually a headphone person anyways!

So I am looking for something to both enhance my current setup and complement it.

First of all, let me describe my music tastes. I listen to music wayyy too much and buy wayy too much music. My actual preferences vary by my mood but most often are comprised of 30% Hardcore/Metalcore/Metal, 30% Indie/Alternative, 20% Rap/Hip Hop, 10% Folk, and 10% Electronic.

That's kind of broad, I know. Now let's talk about what I use to listen to this music.

I use my Grado SR-60s every day. Every day. I wear them everywhere, and they are almost always powered by my iPod video. Sometimes also by my Macbook Pro.
Probably 4 or 5 times a month I use my Etymotic ER-6i earphones. When I fly I use them, or when I go on road trips, or when I take naps where I want to be completely undisturbed. But for the most part I do not appreciate this style of headphone because my ears are too sensitive and it is hard to get a good seal, and removing and resealing is very tedious.

I want to get a good closed headphone to complement these two that I have. I have never spent more than $80 on a headphone or earphone but I am willing to spend a good amount of money because I'm not buying large speakers. Not more than $300 if I can help it, but preferably more like $200.

Moving off campus means I will be commuting, and that will be usually a 15-20 minute metrorail ride. This will be perfect for closed headphones I hope.

I also want to get an amp of some sort for the three headphones. I would imagine that a portable amp will be more useful to me because I rarely sit in one place while listening to music and having an amp for my commute as well as sitting in the library and listening to music will be nice. Is there a good amp that would complement all three headphones (or at least the Grados and the closed can)?

I was looking at the Beyer DT770 and some Ultrasone models, but to be honest I don't know enough about them to make a good call about which one is best. And I know NOTHING about amps, except that they improve the output of a headphone, so I am eager to learn about such things.

Thanks for all your help with this...

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Id recommend the HD 25-1 (the only phones I own), if you want portable AND closed. Amp wise, I'm using a self built CMOY... so don't ask me there
600smile.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Would also play very nicely with any of the Go-Vibes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of topic…
plainface.gif

Dex, are you in any way on the payroll of Ultrasone, or what..?
wink.gif

Just kiddin’ of course, you just found your sound I guess.
biggrin.gif

And hey, besides the Audio Technica ATH w1000 I like ‘m a lot better than all the other closed cans I’ve heard so far.
cool.gif

Keep up the good work!
icon10.gif

Back on topic...

Hé Denver Max,
Since you love the Grado’s so much I don’t think you will ever find a closed can that will satisfy your taste.
rs1smile.gif

I like the Grado’s a lot, and if it wasn’t for my need for a closed can, I would not look any further, and just buy the nicest one I could afford.
gs1000.gif

Hey, I even liked the 325!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Try an Ultrasone…
cool.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of topic…
plainface.gif

Dex, are you in any way on the payroll of Ultrasone, or what..?
wink.gif

Just kiddin’ of course, you just found your sound I guess.
biggrin.gif

And hey, besides the Audio Technica ATH w1000 I like ‘m a lot better than all the other closed cans I’ve heard so far.
cool.gif

Keep up the good work!
icon10.gif

Back on topic...

Hé Denver Max,
Since you love the Grado’s so much I don’t think you will ever find a closed can that will satisfy your taste.
rs1smile.gif

I like the Grado’s a lot, and if it wasn’t for my need for a closed can, I would not look any further, and just buy the nicest one I could afford.
gs1000.gif

Hey, I even liked the 325!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Try an Ultrasone…
cool.gif

Hi Bigjohn,
so you still haven't bought a W1000 from Hans? Too bad. I'm still considering buying one though...

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillmetoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Bigjohn,
so you still haven't bought a W1000 from Hans? Too bad. I'm still considering buying one though...

Just a little of topic now...
tongue.gif

I have one at home now
icon10.gif

Hans and i agreed I could listen to it a bit more, before I make a decision on what to buy
wink.gif

Again it sounds amazing, don't know what some people don't like about these...
I just received them today so you can expect some sort of review in the next couple of days
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think I am going to ask to borrow the Creek from Echo Audio one more time so I can listen to some vinyl as well as cd's (I only have a headphone socket on my Sony cd player...)
blink.gif

Greets,

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little of topic now...
tongue.gif

I have one at home now
icon10.gif

Hans and i agreed I could listen to it a bit more, before I make a decision on what to buy
wink.gif

Again it sounds amazing, don't know what some people don't like about these...
I just received them today so you can expect some sort of review in the next couple of days
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think I am going to ask to borrow the Creek from Echo Audio one more time so I can listen to some vinyl as well as cd's (I only have a headphone socket on my Sony cd player...)
blink.gif

Greets,

How did you pursuade Hans in lending you those?
It must be your good looks, you lucky devil you!

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 16
If you have a little patience,keep your eye on the "Amplications for sale" thread.

I guess its better for you to start with a cheaper amp,learn what they can do to headphones..id put the bulk of the money towards that..

you should be able to pick up a decent amp for $50-100.
that leaves you with the $200 to find a half decent closed can.

I'll let the other folks here advise you on those.
GL, hope you sort yourself with summat nice.

wink.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a little patience,keep your eye on the "Amplications for sale" thread.

I guess its better for you to start with a cheaper amp,learn what they can do to headphones..id put the bulk of the money towards that..

you should be able to pick up a decent amp for $50-100.
that leaves you with the $200 to find a half decent closed can.

I'll let the other folks here advise you on those.
GL, hope you sort yourself with summat nice.

wink.gif

I would advice just opposite of that...
wink.gif

I'm planning to buy a headphone that can be used without an amp and still sound good.
cool.gif

Then if you can afford a good amp things can only get better
eggosmile.gif

But I think either way you go can get good results.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 16
lambda.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillmetoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you pursuade Hans in lending you those?
It must be your good looks, you lucky devil you!

evil_smiley.gif
It must be the good looks yeah!
evil_smiley.gif

blink.gif
Allthough I'm not so sure it is my good looks that convinced Hans to lend me the Audio Technica's...
blink.gif

cool.gif
Can't imagine what else could have made him do it though...
cool.gif

tongue.gif
Maybe Hans smells a good chance to wrestle some Euro's out of my firm grasp...
tongue.gif

lambda.gif
Just kiddin'! Hans is just an afficionado with his heart on the right place, willing to help his future fellow Head-Fi'ers.
eggosmile.gif

[size=xx-small]Enough sucking up, back on topic![/size]

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Everything you guys have said is really informative. I feel like with this thread and through a ton of reading in the last day and a half I know a little about what's going on with closed headphones. The water is still a little murky with headphone amps even from their effectiveness to their prices to their accessibility to their differences, but this is something I think i'm going to wait until the summer to deal with.

As for right now, I like the Ultrasone Proline 650. I have been looking for a comparison and haven't found one yet:

How does the Ultrasone Proline 650 compare to the Beyer DT770-80? I really like the Beyer and from what I've read it's a great headphone except that it benefits from an amp which I would have to also purchase.

Thanks again...

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 16
IMO the 770 is too big for commuting, bass is too overwheling for some genres and it is too slow for metal or anything fast, and they dont need an amp to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back