amp after old LD2
Jul 6, 2008 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fuzzy fuzzbucket

Head-Fier
hi all
biggrin.gif

I'm saving up for an amp now. 3 amps came to my mind and they are LD3, LDMK3 and the DV Figaro. all 3 are somewhat on par in terms of prices here in Singapore. comments about the 3 or any? or any other amps?
I don't want any DIY ones because I don't really have the time to assemble the pieces together nowadays.
frown.gif

yeah comment on the 3,

Little Dot 3
Little Dot MK3
Darkvoice Figaro

rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 14
I think the MKIII is a class above the Figaro.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 14
I do not recall there being a Little Dot 3; only the MKIII. In any case, I would also recommend the MKIII based on my experience with Little Dot amps. Excellent craftsmanship, powerful, easy to tube roll, reliable and outstanding sevice from Little Tube.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 14
Here's another happy LD mkIII user! I have it for a couple of days now and enjoying every second. I can hear every little detail on tracks and the sound is so warm and emphatic. Review soon to follow....

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 14
hi all

Here are some pics i can find on the net to help you guys to recall which are the amps I'm refering to...

the LD3 or LD3+
LD1.jpg

the LDMK3
T1ROlXXcJeXXb1upjX.jpg

the DV Figaro
figaro-1.jpg

figaro-2.jpg

Looks like alot of people I know has better impression with the LDMK3
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 14
Haha that LD3 is like vintage or something, looks pretty funky. Anyway I have read on this forum that littledot used to have some problems on their older models (overheating and stuff), not sure if the LD3 also has those problems, but I think the MKIII is a safer bet!

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi Fuzzbucket, fellow sg-er here. (if you are from sg..) Been using the Mk III for the past 2 months and it's been lots and lots of fun! absolutely great value for money. In the end, the Mk III impressed me so much i decided to get the MK V as well and that was absolutely a great buy.

i would say both complement each other very well in different genres of music. The Mk V rawks for anything that demands separation and clean-ness while the Mk III is great for vocals. intend to pair both of them up with the Mk III as pre-amp in the long run, but am presently enjoying them separately.

IMO, i don't think u can go wrong with the LD Mk III.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 14
If you like the LD amps you'd best stay with them. I have a DV FIGARO, and it's a great little amp, but the tubes, at least the western ones, are rather hard to come by.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the LD amps you'd best stay with them. I have a DV FIGARO, and it's a great little amp, but the tubes, at least the western ones, are rather hard to come by.

Quote:

Haha that LD3 is like vintage or something, looks pretty funky. Anyway I have read on this forum that littledot used to have some problems on their older models (overheating and stuff), not sure if the LD3 also has those problems, but I think the MKIII is a safer bet!

yeah the Figaro tubes aren't available here in Singapore too. As for the LDMK3 I'm pretty sure if I can find it locally too. Maybe Shadowmoses knows where?
My LD2 are the ones without any prints on the front panel. hoho It does heat up like alot
rolleyes.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 14
I am a fellow countryman too....just got my LDMK3 for 3 days and i must say this amp really impressed me even she yet to burn in. I decided to get the MK3 after the MK1 which really impress me with the LT1364 opamp swap!!! Little dot really impress me go for the MK3 bro....

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 14
hmm where can i get the replacement tubes in Singapore then? having 2nd thoughts now because it is really hard to get replacement tubes for any of these amps especially here in Singapore...

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzy fuzzbucket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm where can i get the replacement tubes in Singapore then? having 2nd thoughts now because it is really hard to get replacement tubes for any of these amps especially here in Singapore...

You can order replacement tubes from ebay. There are more than a few sellers out there with right tubes

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzy fuzzbucket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yen Audio on ebay carries a wide range of Little Dot tubes and I've heard good things about the store from fellow head-fiers who bought from him, he also ships internationally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back