Amp advice for HD800s
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Galm

100+ Head-Fier
So I settled on picking up some HD800s after trying on a bunch of 1000-2000 dollars headphones as I fell in love with the sound stage.  

I'm going to do the SDR mod shortly when the parts arrive as I'd rather fix the sibilance and leave the bass alone plus save like 700 dollars compared to the HD800S model.

Some recommendations on reddit for a good dac/amp pairing was the NFB 28.  I wanted Head-Fi's take on it as well.  I already own ie800s with a Chord Mojo (currently using the HD800s with it).  I'm looking for a good upgrade over that that is within range of the NFB 28 or cheaper.  I don't mind shelling out a bit, but I still want it to be value added not 1000 extra dollars for 3% better (which I know is a little oxymoronic at this price tier).  

As a general preference I do like neutral leaning warm, which I know isn't a perfect match with HD800s.  But if that influences the amp/dac I thought I'd mention it.  I still really love these just need to kill the sibilance.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 34
If you want to go the solid state route, as a violetric v281 owner I can highly recommend this amp. Warm-neutral with great sound stage. Has both single-ended and balanced out. If you don't need the balanced out the v220 would suffice, too. Should pair quite well with the HD800s. Check out these links for impressions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705318/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced

http://www.headfonia.com/violectric-v281-masterpiece/

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 34
  If you want to go the solid state route, as a violetric v281 owner I can highly recommend this amp. Warm-neutral with great sound stage. Has both single-ended and balanced out. If you don't need the balanced out the v220 would suffice, too. Should pair quite well with the HD800s. Check out these links for impressions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705318/violectric-hpa-v281-vorsprung-durch-balanced

http://www.headfonia.com/violectric-v281-masterpiece/

Thanks for the reply.

What's the benefit of balanced vs non?  I get the concepts but I guess not the real world results in a set up like this.  

Lastly is that 1500 euros?  Seems kinda high compared to the NFB 28.  Not sure I'm quite ready to swallow being worth a lot more than the headphones themselves just yet.  

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 34
  Have you thought about a tube /dac combo like the Woo Wa7 Fireflies?
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/

I'm open to it if you think it will fit my preferences.  Though which ones?  I also don't really understand the power supply thing?  What is a tube power supply vs solid state?  My EE buddy doesn't get that either.  Is there really a 700 dollar psu just for the tubes?  

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 34
Ah my bad on the price. It really depends on the implementation and there's nothing really special about balanced vs unbalanced, I've read. Unbalanced can be as good as balanced depending on how well built the amp is. Sometimes amps just specialize in having a balanced out and may have an adjunct unbalanced out just for compatability (I don't believe the v281 is on of these amps, they have great unbalanced outs). For the v281 I think the balanced out mainly offers better soundstage, I've read (don't have the setup to directly compare its balanced vs unbalanced out).

I can vouch for the fireflies; there's a whole thread of people who love them.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 34
I heard a modded 800 on a Microzotl 2 and it was quite good to me .

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 34
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/

Ah my bad on the price. It really depends on the implementation and there's nothing really special about balanced vs unbalanced, I've read. Unbalanced can be as good as balanced depending on how well built the amp is. Sometimes amps just specialize in having a balanced out and may have an adjunct unbalanced out just for compatability (I don't believe the v281 is on of these amps, they have great unbalanced outs). For the v281 I think the balanced out mainly offers better soundstage, I've read (don't have the setup to directly compare its balanced vs unbalanced out).

I tried to replay but it said something about including a link which I can't do or something.  

What's the difference on the two version of that?  What the heck is a tube power supply?  A psu can be one or the other?  Or is one amp version solid state?

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 34

I tried to reply but the link in the quote took it down or something.

What's the difference between the two version of that?  I was not aware a psu for a tube amp costs 700 more?  Or is it that one is a tube amp and the other a ss?

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 34

one is the first generation with a toslink connection and usb and the other is the 2nd gen with upgraded dac and usb no toslink etc. The Wa7tp is the optional tube power supply you can get instead of the solid state power supply.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 34
You in Europe? It is said that the HD800 pairs well mostly with tube amp so I advise you take a look at Feliks Elise since they're highly regarded.
Else you can go into the Schiit route; Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2, depending on your budget.

Most experiences I've had are with Cavalli amps but they're pretty hard to get.
You'll have a lot of choice offered to you and the options will seem to never end.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 34
You in Europe? It is said that the HD800 pairs well mostly with tube amp so I advise you take a look at Feliks Elise since they're highly regarded.
Else you can go into the Schiit route; Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2, depending on your budget.

Most experiences I've had are with Cavalli amps but they're pretty hard to get.
You'll have a lot of choice offered to you and the options will seem to never end.

Not Europe sorry I said euros because the site did.

I'm very down for tube. The firefly looks really sexy aesthetically haha.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 34
So is the second one a power supply?

Is that worth an extra 700... sounds like something I'd rather not buy.

You don't have to buy the power supply because you can buy just the Amp/Dac  (999.00) and that comes with its own solid state power supply. I have ocd or something because I needed the symmetry of two ! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back