amp advice for Alessandro MS-Pro
Sep 20, 2006 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kg21

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I got my Alessandro Ms-Pros off of another member 2 days ago and I am enjoying them but with my current setup:
Chaintech Av-710 to toslink to Constantine DAC to RCA to Headfive I feel like the "synergy" isn't where I want it. I am considering selling the headfive for a different amp, what amp that is about 300 (could go slightly over or of course below) is a good match for the MS-Pros until I can afford a Mapletree Ear+ HD? Im not sure about gilmore lite because kuma's review said it is really picky about recordings and while I have a lot of good wav/flac I still want versatility, I also got the impression from other threads that the gilmore lite is more accurate/analytical which I don't like either.
Info for people who don't know about the constantine dac:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ratory_dac.htm

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes, Mapletree Ear Purist + HD is magic with Grados. However as you said it is more expensive than other options such as:

- $175 for an used MF X-Can V2
- $300 for an used MF X-Can V3
- MSRP of $400 for a new Heed CanAmp, but for a final price you should contact Dan at:

Dan Muzquiz
Blackbird Audio/Gallery
619-449-2787
http://www.blackbirdaudio.com

If you choose either of the Musical Fidelity amps you should consider sending them to PinkFloyd for his mods, it truly takes them to a new level. However by the time you do it you will have spent more than on the Heed which IMO kick butt. Good luck.

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21
Well I got my Alessandro Ms-Pros off of another member 2 days ago and I am enjoying them but with my current setup:
Chaintech Av-710 to toslink to Constantine DAC to RCA to Headfive I feel like the "synergy" isn't where I want it. I am considering selling the headfive for a different amp, what amp that is about 300 (could go slightly over or of course below) is a good match for the MS-Pros until I can afford a Mapletree Ear+ HD? Im not sure about gilmore lite because kuma's review said it is really picky about recordings and while I have a lot of good wav/flac I still want versatility, I also got the impression from other threads that the gilmore lite is more accurate/analytical which I don't like either.
Info for people who don't know about the constantine dac:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ratory_dac.htm

This is a question that has become very important to me in the last few weeks.

I liked my MS-1s so much that I bought MS2i. I like my MS2i so much, that to complete the set....Yup; MS-Pro is looking more and more like it may be in my future.

To add to the fun; I was strongly considering Glite simply because of it's anaylitical nature in bringing out what I like about my MS2i.

My fear though, is that Glite will allow the similarities of MS2i and MS-Pro to be too obvious. But a less detailed amp may tend to color the sound and hide those characteristics that I find so appealing about the MS-Pro!!

Perhaps as nice as it would be to have the complete set of Alessandros, there may not be enough differences between MS2i and MS-Pro to equal a good complementary pair.

uh....I may have answered my own question.

...never mind
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 4
i see, i will look into the mf x-can v2/v3. Anyone used the little dot III+ with the MS Pros or other higher end Grados, that looks interesting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back