Amp $400
Jun 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FearSC549

500+ Head-Fier
I seriously don't much much about amps(other than how they function) and I'm beginning to think what's limiting my adventure on finding audio nirvana is my amp/DAC. I currently use the E7+E9 and I'm looking for an amp that would be great with my headphone collection(look at my signature). The main headphone I use is my HD 650 and I plan on buying a LCD-2 soon.

Budget is around $400, preferably amp+DAC combo. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 7
An idea:

Schiit Asgard and Hot Audio DAC.

I have not heard this combo personally but some people swear by the asgard with the LCD-2's (some are anti)

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 7
did you mean Lyr? I have not really read much about asgard/LCD2 combo but a ton on the Lyr/LCD2.  Just spend all of the $400 on the Lry and keep using the E7 as your dac for now. Lyr or a cavalli CTH. Or you can look for a vintage receiver amp and run it off the speaker taps.

Quote:
An idea:

Schiit Asgard and Hot Audio DAC.

I have not heard this combo personally but some people swear by the asgard with the LCD-2's (some are anti)

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
did you mean Lyr? I have not really read much about asgard/LCD2 combo but a ton on the Lyr/LCD2.  Just spend all of the $400 on the Lry and keep using the E7 as your dac for now. Lyr or a cavalli CTH. Or you can look for a vintage receiver amp and run it off the speaker taps.

What are speaker taps? Also, most likely I will go with everything 'modern' and not vintage. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 7
That's when you run your headphones using the speaker outs of receivers.  That is kinda too bad about not wanting vintage, the term "they don't make them like the used to" comes to mind.  You can probly pick up a vintage amp for less than $200, that will kill headphone amps costing 5 times as much.

Quote:
What are speaker taps? Also, most likely I will go with everything 'modern' and not vintage. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
That's when you run your headphones using the speaker outs of receivers.  That is kinda too bad about not wanting vintage, the term "they don't make them like the used to" comes to mind.  You can probly pick up a vintage amp for less than $200, that will kill headphone amps costing 5 times as much.

The reason why I do not want to go vintage is because I barely know anything about vintage amps and I don't know where to start to look for one.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 7
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

That is my favorite thread here on head-fi.  I picked up a Kenwood KR-720 on criagslist for $60, it sounded just as good as my Gilmore lite with DPS that I bought for $450, using HE-5LE. I don't use speaker taps at all.  I now am using a Sansui G7000, that I bought for $120 on CL and it is even better (by a lot) than the kenwood. Also using the headphone out.  My volume is on about 2-3 to get the same volume I was getting at 12-2 on the gilmore lite. Everything else is just as good if not better. Can't really compare them anymore, sold my headphone amps, very happy with vintage amps.  Also another member here just bought a kenwood KR-9600 from craigslist LA. That is one powerful amp, would not be surprised if it was pushing close to 10 watts out of its headphone out.

I am no expert when it comes to vintage receivers, but I just ask questions on the thread and people on that thread are so helpful.  But from what I gather lates 70's gear from Pioneer/Sansui?Kenwood and Marrantz is what you should be looking for.

Quote:
The reason why I do not want to go vintage is because I barely know anything about vintage amps and I don't know where to start to look for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back