Amp <100$ to go with a modded K81/518
Aug 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

xyphe

New Head-Fier
I've recently purchased a pair of AKG K518LE's. These being my first entry level cans, I'm quite happy with their performance. The sound was on the darker/bassier side of things as I've previously read all over the place, so I've made some modifications. I've removed foam paddings and done the blu-tack mod. The result was awesome: much better and clear sounding mids/highs along with a less empowering bass that doesn't boom anymore.

I'm quite happy with the sound signature I have now, fairly balanced with a dash of fun, although there are some details that can use a little fixing, and I'm hoping to accomplish that with an amp. Here's what I would like to get out of my soon-to-be-purchased amp:

1 - More volume. I love listening to my music at loud volumes and a standard phone headphone jack doesn't do enough justice.
2 - Softer highs. I sometimes notice distortions at high volumes on certain guitar solos (for example, the last bend note in RHCP - Desecration Smile's solo). I'm not an expert in audio, but I think this is because of the harshness of highs (correct me if I'm wrong).
3 - A little more low-bass. Preferably the tighter kind, not the kind I've had without those little tweaks I've applied. I listen to a fair amount of electronica. I want the clarity to remain as it is.
4 - A little more mid. I like fun signatures and I bought K518's because of it's V shaped sound, although I wouldn't mind a tad more mids as I occasionally listen to jazz too. I don't want this to change the fun style.

From all the threads I've read about K81/518 + amp pairings, it seemed to me that people recommended amps based on the overbassy-ness of these cans (there was no mention of tweaks either). However, they sound almost perfect to me right now, and would like to get an amp recommendation considering the list above. Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back