Americans are on average 20 pounds heavier than in 1990!
Nov 3, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 33
So why do you think america is one of the fattest countries in the world?

I think it's a combination of highly processed foods and way too much fat.
When you have a combination of both of these it's extremely easy to eat too many calories.
When you eat that way you'll constantly be hungry and yet are never full.

Then you have people that only drink soda/pop. Think of how many empty calories are in all those snacks and Cokes etc.
Another problem is too much fried food. Any kind of extra fat in your diet is just basically empty calories.
I'm not a believer of this "healthy fat" nonsense. Some is OK.

Basically overfed and under-nourished as they say. What's sad is how little vegetables americans eat. French Fries don't count!
I wouldn't be surprised if we ate one serving per day.

The biggest con to me is the paleo diet and how meat is perfectly OK and grains are evil. If high animal protein is OK we wouldn't have so much cancer and heart disease.
The Paleo diet should be the Fast Track to Death diet.

There is a clear link between these diseases and animal protein. Read up on "The China Study" if you don't believe me. Or how a vegan diet can totally reverse heart disease.
Now a simple potato that's not fried is evil and even wheat bread is somehow 10x worse than meat.

Americans didn't get fat from eating healthy potatoes (without butter!) and wheat bread! I can't believe potatoes are not even WIC approved anymore yet sugary (refined) cereals are!

Potatoes are actually a complete protein and you could actually live off them. You don't actually need any animal protein at all to survive. Yes I know about the B12 thing, but even on a vegan diet you won't go without.

Did you know that americans are basically overdosing on protein? No wonder we're always sick. And the "standard american diet" is actually high fat and not low fat. A true low fat diet is basically under 10% fat.

Also, when you eat whole foods that are not refined you will be fuller much longer and not have constant cravings for junk foods.
Best thing to do is avoid highly processed junk and eat twice as many vegetables. Giving up fried foods and sugary pop helped me the most when I was overweight.

IMO the best "diet" is 80% whole food (not processed) carbs and 10% protein and 10% fat. Despite what they say, it's also cheap to eat this way.

Americans (me) are also brainwashed from an early age to think you can't survive without milk for calcium or meat for protein. I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of american thought protein only came from meat!

PS. EVERY plant contains protein. You don't need 200g of protein a day. The minimum requirements are about only 15g! If you ate 2000 calories of  vegetables a day you'll get way over that.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 33
It's because they sit in front of their computers posting on websites.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 33
  So why do you think america is one of the fattest countries in the world?

I think it's a combination of highly processed foods and way too much fat.
When you have a combination of both of these it's extremely easy to eat too many calories.
When you eat that way you'll constantly be hungry and yet are never full.

Then you have people that only drink soda/pop. Think of how many empty calories are in all those snacks and Cokes etc.
Another problem is too much fried food. Any kind of extra fat in your diet is just basically empty calories.
I'm not a believer of this "healthy fat" nonsense. Some is OK.

Basically overfed and under-nourished as they say. What's sad is how little vegetables americans eat. French Fries don't count!
I wouldn't be surprised if we ate one serving per day.

The biggest con to me is the paleo diet and how meat is perfectly OK and grains are evil. If high animal protein is OK we wouldn't have so much cancer and heart disease.
The Paleo diet should be the Fast Track to Death diet.

There is a clear link between these diseases and animal protein. Read up on "The China Study" if you don't believe me. Or how a vegan diet can totally reverse heart disease.
Now a simple potato that's not fried is evil and even wheat bread is somehow 10x worse than meat.

Americans didn't get fat from eating healthy potatoes (without butter!) and wheat bread! I can't believe potatoes are not even WIC approved anymore yet sugary (refined) cereals are!

Potatoes are actually a complete protein and you could actually live off them. You don't actually need any animal protein at all to survive. Yes I know about the B12 thing, but even on a vegan diet you won't go without.

Did you know that americans are basically overdosing on protein? No wonder we're always sick. And the "standard american diet" is actually high fat and not low fat. A true low fat diet is basically under 10% fat.

Also, when you eat whole foods that are not refined you will be fuller much longer and not have constant cravings for junk foods.
Best thing to do is avoid highly processed junk and eat twice as many vegetables. Giving up fried foods and sugary pop helped me the most when I was overweight.

IMO the best "diet" is 80% whole food (not processed) carbs and 10% protein and 10% fat. Despite what they say, it's also cheap to eat this way.

Americans (me) are also brainwashed from an early age to think you can't survive without milk for calcium or meat for protein. I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of american thought protein only came from meat!

PS. EVERY plant contains protein. You don't need 200g of protein a day. The minimum requirements are about only 15g! If you ate 2000 calories of  vegetables a day you'll get way over that.

Yes Soda I agree,

Patatoe as a complete protein... no. Not unless we've started making taters with the right proportion of amino acids. I'm not denying that taters have protein but you need to eat them with other plants to get sufficent amounts of each of the nessicary amino acids

but yea Meat's over rated, and getting expensive. Ofc the other issue with why americans are fat has to do with the a lot of pollitical factors that drive the cost of food up more than it reasonably should be :/ 

Either way, all good points though. 

I used to be like SUPER into nutrition back in the day, before school and what not. Though imo, it's all the polltical bull schiit that leads to obesisety, that and a decline in "work ethic" I honestly eat like schiit [Ramen Noodles, and super processed hot dogs] but HEY I'm not fat, Why? Because I haul @$$ at work, because I uhh have a job to do and I get to it <3

But yea, there's a lot of things weighing us down, though I'd vote Soda at the top of that list [btw Soda is in some stores cheaper than Water :/ ] 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 33
I was 6lbs in 1990 :p... But now I'm 214 @5"11" :'(... I did a extreme diet about a year ago when I was 230lbs to get as much weight of as possible. I used some supplement and about 2month I lost 42lbs and that's with barely eating and no exercise...i know its unhealthy but now I'm almost back to my original weight :'(...i have to try eating healthy food...

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 33
I was 6lbs in 1990 :p... But now I'm 214 @5"11" :'(... I did a extreme diet about a year ago when I was 230lbs to get as much weight of as possible. I used some supplement and about 2month I lost 42lbs and that's with barely eating and no exercise...i know its unhealthy but now I'm almost back to my original weight :'(...i have to try eating healthy food...

ehh, drink more water, park further away from doors an stuff drink more water when your hungry, in stead of eating 

Oh gawd I don't even know my weight q.q 

I think I want to to some calesthetics >.> Or OH gawd YES YES YES, I could go for a walk each morning with my new Portable rig <3 WALK HO, there's nothing I need to be up till midnight for these days honestly 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #22 of 33
I use to drink about 1gal of water a day :relieved:... But now its like 64ounce :disappointed:... And process foods and beverages are a main cause to my obesity :sweat:

Sadly so, though some of it has to do with how u were raised. My Ma never let me have soda, and as a result of that to this day I find it to b disgusting [way to sweeeeeeeeeet] 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 33
This is the country where a large portion of people think that ketchup can be the vegetable portion of their diet, that driving can be considered an exercise, and that flu shot causes autism or is some government project to control our minds. The biggest problem is people believe whatever is convenient for them to believe, and think that whoever tells them otherwise is a fascist and suppressing their freedom. The following is a true story:

Me: "You are not supposed to drink alcohol while taking this antidepressant."

Pt.: "WHAT?! WHO MADE THAT KIND OF RULE?"

Me: "Whoever manufactures this drug. When this drug is mixed with alcohol it can cause suicidal tendencies."

Pt.: "I'M GOING TO MY COUSIN'S WEDDING THIS WEEKEND! I'M NOT FOLLOWING THAT! THIS IS FREE COUNTRY!"

And then a couple weeks later I hear about him committing suicide. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 33
  This is the country where a large portion of people think that ketchup can be the vegetable portion of their diet, that driving can be considered an exercise, and that flu shot causes autism or is some government project to control our minds. The biggest problem is people believe whatever is convenient for them to believe, and think that whoever tells them otherwise is a fascist and suppressing their freedom. The following is a true story:

Me: "You are not supposed to drink alcohol while taking this antidepressant."

Pt.: "WHAT?! WHO MADE THAT KIND OF RULE?"

Me: "Whoever manufactures this drug. When this drug is mixed with alcohol it can cause suicidal tendencies."

Pt.: "I'M GOING TO MY COUSIN'S WEDDING THIS WEEKEND! I'M NOT FOLLOWING THAT! THIS IS FREE COUNTRY!"

And then a couple weeks later I hear about him committing suicide. 

Ahh yea the pharmisuitical Companies, that's why we are really fat 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 33

I know this feel. I lost quite a bit of weight and then gained most of it back. Now I'm on my way down again and I feel like I can keep it that way.

The key to losing weight is to eat less than your maintenance calories. Also, eating cleaner will make you look less bloated at the same weight, ime.

Don't go on a drastic diet, have a cheat day when you can eat normal food, and stick to eating clean (chicken breast grilled with little dressing, lettuce etc) on the other days. I always feel guilty after a cheat meal though lol :frowning2:

While you are on a diet, go to the gym and lift weights to preserve that muscle mass. You don't even have to do cardio to lose weight but it helps you get to your goal quicker. No one's going to laugh at a fat guy in the gym because they know you're doing something about it.

As for supplements, I am using carnitine and CLA. I can't do the ec stack here since e is illegal but I'm going to try caffeine pills next.

Some of what I posted above might be purely broscience (i don't know) but it has worked for me.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #26 of 33
I know this feel. I lost quite a bit of weight and then gained most of it back. Now I'm on my way down again and I feel like I can keep it that way.

The key to losing weight is to eat less than your maintenance calories. Also, eating cleaner will make you look less bloated at the same weight, ime.

Don't go on a drastic diet, have a cheat day when you can eat normal food, and stick to eating clean (chicken breast grilled with little dressing, lettuce etc) on the other days. I always feel guilty after a cheat meal though lol
frown.gif

While you are on a diet, go to the gym and lift weights to preserve that muscle mass. You don't even have to do cardio to lose weight but it helps you get to your goal quicker. No one's going to laugh at a fat guy in the gym because they know you're doing something about it.

As for supplements, I am using carnitine and CLA. I can't do the ec stack here since e is illegal but I'm going to try caffeine pills next.

Some of what I posted above might be purely broscience (i don't know) but it has worked for me.

Meh a lot of things are mental, or in your mind. If Bro science get's your into the gym then onward! 

when I was in HS I was chunky, I did a LOT of weight lifting and lost a good bit of my weight. I've kept it off since then, though I need to start walking the mornings! I've got tons of Hillz in my neighborhood, to build a fine tone rear end ;3 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #27 of 33
Meh a lot of things are mental, or in your mind. If Bro science get's your into the gym then onward! 

when I was in HS I was chunky, I did a LOT of weight lifting and lost a good bit of my weight. I've kept it off since then, though I need to start walking the mornings! I've got tons of Hillz in my neighborhood, to build a fine tone rear end ;3 

Agreed. It's all mental. You need to have a solid goal (whatever that may be) to motivate you when you feel like giving up.

You can try cycling up and down the hills for interval training, or even mountain biking (fun) if you can find a trail nearby. I hate cardio though lol.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #28 of 33
Agreed. It's all mental. You need to have a solid goal (whatever that may be) to motivate you when you feel like giving up.

You can try cycling up and down the hills for interval training, or even mountain biking (fun) if you can find a trail nearby. I hate cardio though lol.

I hate running, I love Power Walking.
I used to power walk like 3 miles one way with my old XB 700s back in the day! So long as the beat was dope and the bass was pumpin I could push through! It's when the music stopped that I was in trouble xD 

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #29 of 33

Yes Soda I agree,

Patatoe as a complete protein... no. Not unless we've started making taters with the right proportion of amino acids. I'm not denying that taters have protein but you need to eat them with other plants to get sufficent amounts of each of the nessicary amino acids

It's actually a myth that plant protein (potatoes) can't contain all essential amino acids and is not a complete protein.
Of course if you eat only one potato, then of course not! If you eat enough of them you can easily get all the requirements met.
Many people around the world actually live off of potatoes as their primary food source and are perfectly healthy. Same with white rice or even corn.
If you ate only white potatoes all day you'd get 8% of your calories from protein. The World Health Organization says you only need 5% of your calories from protein.

There is actually no need to combine foods to meet protein requirements, but it's always a good idea.
It's true that very few people eat enough vegetables a day, but if that's all you ate, then it's easy to be healthy without lacking protein.

Check this page out and be sure to look at the chart:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm

Protein is the most overrated thing ever these days. Most people are probably overdosing on protein. Any excess is not stored.

I remember when I was lifting weights I was always told to eat  2g of protein for every LB of body weight. What nonsense!
I wonder if your body can actually need/use 400g of protein a day? Maybe, but I don't know. Maybe if you tore your muscles up for half the day at the gym.

Interesting fact: Human breast milk is only 5% protein when dairy milk is like 21% or something. Kind of makes you think a little.

Excess protein also speeds up the aging process. Makes sense really! It seems like the oldest people probably consumer smaller meals and eat less calories.

Sometimes i've noticed lately how when I eat less during a meal i'm less hungry later. It's very strange! Some foods just make me so tired.

Maybe people in the USA are programmed to eat way larger portion sizes.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #30 of 33

It's actually a myth that plant protein (potatoes) can't contain all essential amino acids and is not a complete protein.
Of course if you eat only one potato, then of course not! If you eat enough of them you can easily get all the requirements met.
Many people around the world actually live off of potatoes as their primary food source and are perfectly healthy. Same with white rice or even corn.
If you ate only white potatoes all day you'd get 8% of your calories from protein. The World Health Organization says you only need 5% of your calories from protein.

There is actually no need to combine foods to meet protein requirements, but it's always a good idea.
It's true that very few people eat enough vegetables a day, but if that's all you ate, then it's easy to be healthy without lacking protein.

Check this page out and be sure to look at the chart:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm

Protein is the most overrated thing ever these days. Most people are probably overdosing on protein. Any excess is not stored.

I remember when I was lifting weights I was always told to eat  2g of protein for every LB of body weight. What nonsense!
I wonder if your body can actually need/use 400g of protein a day? Maybe, but I don't know. Maybe if you tore your muscles up for half the day at the gym.

Interesting fact: Human breast milk is only 5% protein when dairy milk is like 21% or something. Kind of makes you think a little.

Excess protein also speeds up the aging process. Makes sense really! It seems like the oldest people probably consumer smaller meals and eat less calories.

Sometimes i've noticed lately how when I eat less during a meal i'm less hungry later. It's very strange! Some foods just make me so tired.

Maybe people in the USA are programmed to eat way larger portion sizes.

It's not a myth, not in a sense, I've seen the chart and it's all about proportions, it's highly un likely you'll eat nothing but patatoes, there fore if your eating  a patatoe pair it with another veggie and get more of the amino acids you need. Diversify your protein in take sources

and yea, I can believe that about milk 

speaking of protein, that is a little absurd. When I was weight lifiting I was consuming like maybe 125 grams a day, though my overall calorie in take was also around 4000 or so, and *sigh* I miss eating like that and working out q.q it got kinda expensive after a while. 

But yea, I can believe that we as Americans are over dosing on Proteins. Speaking of which, I'm about to leave to go eat at Rioz Brazzillian steak house! Mmmm, time for 10x as much protein I need in on sitting lol meh it tastes good so what ever 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back