American kids, dumber than dirt; is it really this bad?
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #151 of 163
Our problem is math. Math teaches logic.

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #152 of 163
Totally agree with you. Math, not only is the foundation for all knowledge, it is the essential founding block for Critical Thinking, thus knowledge.

There is however, a fundamental flaw with schools today. There is no real teaching, or learning. What we have are "parrots" breading more "parrots", by "chanting the mantra" they where taught, and forcing the "students" to fully memorize it.

Critical Thinking, true teaching, and true learning, seem to have no more place in our decrepit society. No knowledge is exchanged, between Teacher and Student, and yes, it should be a two-way street. We are left with "parrots" memorizing the acceptable Propaganda of a society overtaken by Political Correctness, and the unacceptable view of rise, learning, and enlightenment, through hard work, and healthy exchange of knowledge. Always the easiest way out. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #153 of 163
What we have are "parrots" breading more "parrots", by "chanting the mantra" they where taught, and forcing the "students" to fully memorize it.

That would be breeding, not breading. We aren't being coated for cooking here! :wink:

I happen to be an American "kid" and I'd like to say most are stupid, they allow most to get by not learning anything in public schools, yet when it comes tome for college, they crack down and expect people to have learned something. Then everybody whines about college being unfair or schools being crap. Raise the standards of public school, sure a lot will have to repeat grades, but they're dumb, they need to. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #155 of 163

Quote:
Quote:
What we have are "parrots" breading more "parrots", by "chanting the mantra" they where taught, and forcing the "students" to fully memorize it.

That would be breeding, not breading. We aren't being coated for cooking here!
wink.gif

I happen to be an American "kid" and I'd like to say most are stupid, they allow most to get by not learning anything in public schools, yet when it comes tome for college, they crack down and expect people to have learned something. Then everybody whines about college being unfair or schools being crap. Raise the standards of public school, sure a lot will have to repeat grades, but they're dumb, they need to.  

I am not looking forward to college at all.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #160 of 163
Sanveann: Indeed. 

@toppic: this seemed to fit. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #161 of 163
I don't know there are several problems with the schooling system in the US, although I'm not sure it's just limited to the United States. Around the world (ok, i'll give some background about myself right now, I'm currently in Singapore and am dealing with a lot of foreign people, from just about every where (haven't met someone from Africa yet, but I think I've got every other continent), and many of them say that the students learn for the test.) That is the same problem we have in America and I saw it in high school, and I'm seeing it in college right now. Everyone wants to do well, but they don't want to spend the time learning about every little detail so they learn what's important, and that is what's going to be on the exam. This was the reason why I didn't do too well in high school, because I didn't want to be the associated with the kids who did well because I knew that they knew nothing. Also I came from a very wealthy town with a very good public school system. I also blame society in general (I guess I'm still a little angry about high school clicks [cliques?]) since they weren't too kind to me. But I do have a valid point in saying it's really not worth it to be smart, at least book smart. Let's look at a typical company (again using my understanding from what I know, I'm currently an engineering student and have talked to a lot of people about what happens after you graduate). It's the business man who makes the money, typically not the engineer, and I'm pretty sure the engineer has a much better background in science and mathematics than the business man. And what does the business man have to know about the program or circuit or the structure? Basically, how much it costs. Nothing about how it's made, they're more concerned with the bottom line and making it cheaper. It seems like a large amount of people work for bosses who have no idea effort goes into their work. This could be because the people who have a problem complain about and those who are satisfied don't say anything. I really do not know, I haven't gotten into the real world yet. Another idea is that the professional can start their own business but many of them do not know how to do that, at least I don't.

I also partially blame the lack of discipline with online gaming. I know a few people who lost their high schools years to Everquest, WoW, and Diablo II. Many people don't know how to manage their game time and just play too much. Way too much. 

Also sorry for the combination of rambling and pessimism; I'm scared of the future and don't know what I want to do right now :frowning2: . One year left. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #162 of 163
Culture.  We're so scared of "emotionally scarring" kids by telling them they failed a test, that it's now called "deferred success" or some other PC tripe.  Schools are tailored to suit the lowest achiever, and to make them feel good for being the lowest of the class.  Our methods of teaching aren't great, textbooks aren't great, and parental involvement is ever-dwindling, but it's such a large pool of factors, there's no real way to fix anything without taking the old system out back, shooting it, and starting something completely new.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #163 of 163
Some schools aren't even trying enough anymore. Right after I left for college my old high school bent backwards towards the parents and had practically no discipline at all. Teachers had little control. As a result, I think half the school ended up failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back