American kids, dumber than dirt; is it really this bad?
Oct 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #91 of 163
If you ever address the Queen, her full tile is

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen,
  Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.
 Sovereign of the Order of Canada, Sovereign of the Order of Australia, Sovereign of the Order of New Zealand, Sovereign of the Order of Barbados, Sovereign of the Order of Valour, Sovereign of the Order of Military Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces, Sovereign of the Queen's Service Order, Sovereign of the New Zealand Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of St. Andrew, Sovereign of the Order of Logohu, Sovereign of the Order of the Star of Melanesia.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #93 of 163
to prog rock man
 i should not have said any thing , i was out of order , this is a great site and to get into a verbal battle is no good for anybody ,  you have your views and i have mine ,    let that be the end of it ,

i was reminded about site rules , if you are going to preach rules you should preach to one and all ,, meaning there was postings made after mine and you said nothing , 

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #94 of 163
I never cease to be amazed at how posting facts (as I posted facts and not my views on those facts) without comment can still produce abuse.

Back on topic, the OECD tables do make depressing reading for both the UK and the USA. Certainly within the UK if you subdivide school pupils into their country of origin, then you get a representation similar to the league tables. Generally speaking, those of Asian and Far Eastern origins come top in the UK.

Clearly cultural and family reasons play a large part in educational attainment.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #95 of 163

Quote:

Huh? It has everything to do with our educational system. The state defines the educational curriculum. In NY, the NY Board of Regents determines what should be included in the curriculum and standardizes it, as well as creates the final exams that determine who passes the class.

http://nysedregents.org/

sorry ill try to be more blunt.  schools dont teach people where countrys are or general world history, they havent in many years.  americans on the whole are even crapper at both than people in the UK because neither really give much of a crap about the rest of the world.  the difference being the UK has a multitude of foreign countrys nearby to go on holiday to

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #96 of 163
I was not going to post this, but ........ I have a mate who worked in a hotel in Boston. He mentioned to some of the other workers he was going to go to Canada after finishing working there. The other workers (all Americans) then had a discussion as to where Canada is. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #97 of 163
Quote:
I was not going to post this, but ........ I have a mate who worked in a hotel in Boston. He mentioned to some of the other workers he was going to go to Canada after finishing working there. The other workers (all Americans) then had a discussion as to where Canada is. 

I'll do you one better.  First time I visited NYC I asked the receptionist at the hotel where the Empire State Building was.  They had no idea, they asked coworkers and others, nobody knew.  I stepped outside and happened to look up.  There it was!  Right next to the same freaking hotel!!  Literally, just walk across the street.  Then I went down Canal street looking for dinner.  I asked the Chinese where Little Italy was and likewise the Italians where Chinatown was.  Nobody knew.  They were both on Canal street!  We have 300 million people, many don't speak English, don't consider themselves Americans except when it's convenient, feel more loyalty to their country of origin and despite living and working in the US hate it and care nothing about it.  Said individuals also get free education throughout and do wonders for standardized scores.  As poorly as many of us feel we are doing w/ our system, myself included, I fail to see anyone else managing the complexities and differences of 300 million people as well.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #98 of 163

Quote:
sorry ill try to be more blunt.  schools dont teach people where countrys are or general world history, they havent in many years.  americans on the whole are even crapper at both than people in the UK because neither really give much of a crap about the rest of the world.  the difference being the UK has a multitude of foreign countrys nearby to go on holiday to

My school taught me both just fine.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #99 of 163

Quote:
My school taught me both just fine.

Another example of the massive regional differences and inequities in our public education system.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #101 of 163
I'll add something a little more substantial when I have time, but for a bit of humor: http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-are-tests-biased-against-students-who,17966/

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #102 of 163
Quote:
I'll add something a little more substantial when I have time, but for a bit of humor: http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-are-tests-biased-against-students-who,17966/

Actually that is so true.  I remember as a kid having to take some random tests and asking the teachers if they counted towards my grade.  I invariably marked all the answers 'B' or something like that and went back to doodling breasts.  In comparison to any other nation, I think if you polled American students how they feel about doing well in school, our number one response would be, "Suck It!".  The Onion rocks btw.  

OT video below, couldn't resist!

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #103 of 163

Quote:
  We have 300 million people, many don't speak English, don't consider themselves Americans except when it's convenient, feel more loyalty to their country of origin and despite living and working in the US hate it and care nothing about it.  Said individuals also get free education throughout and do wonders for standardized scores.  As poorly as many of us feel we are doing w/ our system, myself included, I fail to see anyone else managing the complexities and differences of 300 million people as well.

That's a pretty tall statement. Can you back it up with anything substantial? 

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #105 of 163

Quote:
Is ther a delete button here? Need to remove the "political" post a few post ups. It's really **** me at this point

What "political" post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back