"American" classical music
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ynoskire

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So I'm looking for distinctly "american" classical music. Music that portrays the idyllic countryside feel of the US. I've already listened to most of Ives' music and Appalachian Spring by Copeland and am looking for similar stuff.

Example:

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 15
Here are few names to get you started:

Robert Beaser
Joan Tower
Ellen Taaffe Zwilich
John Adams

Of those four I would say that Robert Beaser is the closest to what you seem to looking for.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Howard Hanson.

Largely remembered for his long tenure at Eastman School he was one of the most important American composers of his generation.
In addition his promotion and conducting of other American's music was unparalleled in many ways.

Somewhat forgotten these days

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 15
In addition to Hanson, whom I strongly second, you might try some of the music of Virgil Thomson, especially get the classic Stokowski recording of his suite from The River and the Plow That Broke the Plains.  I think this would be exactly what you're looking for.  Also you can start exploring composers such as Walter Piston and Roy Harris.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 15
Nice to see these composers' names being relevant ( 
smile.gif
 ) again.

I think all these names are important to the subject of American classical music.

Here are three more:

John Coriliano Jr.
Irving Fine
Arthur berger

In addition if you want to know more about American classical music:

More Charles Ives.
More Charles Ives.
More...

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 15
  Hi guys,

So I'm looking for distinctly "american" classical music. Music that portrays the idyllic countryside feel of the US. I've already listened to most of Ives' music and Appalachian Spring by Copeland and am looking for similar stuff.

In all seriousness, seeing you are from the Netherlands, and I grew up in the "idyllic" US countryside (and have thought a lot about American music),
I think you need to look at Charles Ives 4th symphony if you want to really understand American classical music.
It has the idyllic thing but also the clashing of everything else of American culture.
I believe in many ways this piece is the key to American classical music on many levels.

The "Three places in New England" are also important IMO.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Hanson's recordings on Mercury are an encyclopedia of forgotten American classical music. Get the Mercury Living Presence boxes. You'll be amazed what you discover. Also see Bernstein's Young People's Concert video titled What Makes American Music American?

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 15
If someone mentions "American classical music", the first thing that springs to mind is "Rhapsody in Blue" by Gershwin.
It's more City than Countryside, but it is very, very American.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 15
  Hanson's recordings on Mercury are an encyclopedia of forgotten American classical music. Get the Mercury Living Presence boxes. You'll be amazed what you discover. Also see Bernstein's Young People's Concert video titled What Makes American Music American?

Can you recommend a separate Hanson on Mercury instead of the Living Presence set?

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 15
A lot of the Hanson disks haven't been released separately or are out of print. Just see what you can find at Amazon and go for the ones where he performs works by other composers.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Interesting that when you say you want stuff that sounds American, I don't think of that "cowboy" stuff you mean, but rather the distinct orchestral sound of mid-20th century American composers - sparse, bright, very pure brass, influenced by Hindemith.

Anyway, there is a lot more stuff by Copland you could listen to. There are a couple of 2-CD sets from EMI (their Gemini series) with his important orchestral music. You'll be wanting the one with his suites Billy the Kid, Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, El Salon Mexico and The Red Pony. The other set contains his Symphony No. 3, based on his Fanfare for the Common Man, and this is one of the better recordings.

Edgeworth mentioned Virgil Thompson; his "Plow that broke the plains" should not be confused with his more formal "Louisiana Story Suite". Both these were derived from his score for the film Louisiana Story.

I also like Barber a lot, but I don't think he fits your search criteria, being heavier and more emotional. There's a disc conducted by Zinman which I think contains his best orchestral works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back