Amen Brother
Mar 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
this is so dead on,

It's a shame that only a handful of people (like members here) care.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/deflavorizing-machine

The one point I's like to see addressed more though is the playback side of the equation.  Why is it that my iPod and cowon, though technically quite good, sound so sterile? is it simply GIGO or is there something inherent converting analog to digital (even at high bit rates) that does it and we just haven't found a way to measure it?

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 4
Thanks for the read, it's so true...

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 4
I experienced a great example of this 6 months ago.
I'd recorded a show on my PVR of Paloma Faith on a TV show called Live From Abbey Road in which they feature live sessions of various artists. Never seen or heard of her before.
I was very impressed with the 3 songs that I saw Paloma Faith and band perform, so I ordered her CD "Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?"

I found the CD sound is rather disappointing compared to the TV show.
The CD is heavily compressed, flat, tweaked etc and just lacks that live in the room feel to it that the TV show recording has.

I also had the same experience with Jon Cleary - Live At The Basement TV show recorded in Australia. The TV show was that good I Bootlegged the audio and play it on my main audio system, sounds fantastic with life and dynamics.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 4
You need to hear this:

But back on topic....IT'S ALL IN THE MASTERING!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back