AMD TrueAudio and What it Means for Sound Cards
Mar 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ComradeDylie

100+ Head-Fier
Hey yall,

Just gonna toss out some questions and speculation here, interest what it what you guys think as well.

Now that AMD is pushing out TrueAudio it sounds like we may again have hardware accelerated audio on our computers.

Lets call the following list a survey of our various speculation and opinions, I think it would be nice if we all put in our thoughts on each item and if you think of some others to add to the list that would be good too!

1.  Does this end the need for dedicated sound cards?

2.  How will we connect our external DACs, do AMD video cards start coming with optical out?

3.  Will foobar support this standard ?

4.  Will TrueAudio just be a TrueFlop?

5.  Will nVidia play along or will they release a counter, separate standard thereby fracturing the market and in the end once again kill hardware accelerated audio on the PC.

My thoughts:

1.  No, I believe we will find ourselves in a situation where we may need both atleast in the short term as many things will not support TrueAudio in the beginning and for a few years

2.  I hope they come with optical out, however,  I either expect either AMD will route the audio to existing outputs or to include a 3.5mm jack on the cards.

3.  I believe yes, someone will write an extension.

4.  I hope not, but I think only a handful of titles (and maybe a foobar extension) will truly make proper use of the tech, so in essence yes it will die out =(.

5.  I cant see them standing by and allowing this to happen unless AMD licenses it to them for free or a negligible fee.  Would they make their own alternative...I sure as hell hope not and cant really see why they would unless AMD refuses to license to them or asks for way too much money to do so. I would much prefer them to simply leave out any support rather than going down the route of creating their own standard.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi, it is really hard to tell something, as all is speculation at the moment. Now it all depends on how game engines/engineers will or will not adopt this tech. AMD themselves describes it very very wide (http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/Pages/amd-trueaudio.aspx) :)  
Can be same story as with EAX, can be another story.

1.  Does this end the need for dedicated sound cards?

Nope as TrueAudio do not replace DAC, and i don't believe AMD will start to integrate whole audio chain to VGA

2.  How will we connect our external DACs, do AMD video cards start coming with optical out?

Best solution would be to pass digital signal to desired audio device (not by mean of cable just digital signal) and then device (integrated or discreet decides how to pass it further), so device plays it back using DAC or passes forward however it can do.

3.  Will foobar support this standard ?

Why would it need to? Of course it is possible, but i don't know what music could get from it.

4.  Will TrueAudio just be a TrueFlop?

If they could make support of the tech at least 95% effortless to implement (AND if TrueAudio really brings something to game experience), i mean if game engine designer will only need some little tweaks to support TrueAudio then why not, all engines adopts TrueAudio and all owners of AMD have nice feature, maybe this will make someone go to AMD  camp. But it is not so easy as most of us care about pure price/performance, and NVIdia seems to be winning this at the moment.  And only if TrueAudio will have success NVidia will bother either to buy this tech and share either to create something new.

5.  Will nVidia play along or will they release a counter, separate standard thereby fracturing the market and in the end once again kill hardware accelerated audio on the PC.

It would be best for all of us that AMD would share this tech it it will have enough success, as adding more and more fracture will make it worse. And if they would sell patent for affordable price, and this tech would be great advantage in games, and, and, and... so on :)  we could have a lot of manufacturers to support this tech, i mean Like Creative/ASUS, they could use it on their hardware effortless.

All that is IMHO of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back