Ambient Dub Techno --- what's the best of this genre out there?
Oct 30, 2011 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

fuseboxx

500+ Head-Fier
Posting this thread because Deepchord Presents Echospace's Liumin and The Coldest Season blew my mind.

I looked for purely Dub Techno albums, but stuff like Basic Channel, Pole and Maurizio just aren't doing the trick. I think I really need that deep, atmospheric ambient factor in the music to make the Dub Techno work for me.

For now, I'm looking into:
Deadbeat - Drawn & Quartered
cv313 - Seconds to Forever
Lulu Rogue - Bless You

Here's a couple of amazing tracks from Echospace:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jj8CbLqr7Q[/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVf0OwyjCo0[/VIDEO]

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 34
Aha! Interesting stuff! Feel the same about Basic Channel etc. Will check Lulu Rogue myself. Haven't heard of that.

The Coldest Season I don't play a lot but crafted so so well. I recommend their Vantage Isle and Grandbend albums. Also some more CV313, the Live album. Other ones that do it for me:

Intrusion - The Seduction of Silence
Model 500 - Starlight Remixes
Rod Modell - Vibrasound
Substance & Vainqueur - Scion Versions
Variant - The Setting Sun

Quite sure you will dig some of this :wink:

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 34
For the sake of completeness, have you looked into staples like Swayzak's Snowboading in Argentina and Sasha's Airdrawndagger?  Too dubby? (I'm assuming you're looking mostly for non-vocals).  Try maybe Monolake's album Hong Kong  (cuts like Index and Occam sound a bit like what you're after), but it does stray into minimalist territory at times

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 34
You are welcome. Yagya! Icelandic half-god. Will I Dream During The Process or Rigning?

Neither, Rhythm of Snow, actually :) Mmmmmm....

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdwgXwmwTvY[/VIDEO]

For the sake of completeness, have you looked into staples like Swayzak's Snowboading in Argentina and Sasha's Airdrawndagger?  Too dubby? (I'm assuming you're looking mostly for non-vocals). 

Actually, those seem to be more House than Techno, and contain far too little of the ambient of ambient dub compared to what I'm looking for like what I mentioned in the OP, sorry.

Try maybe Monolake's album Hong Kong  (cuts like Index and Occam sound a bit like what you're after), but it does stray into minimalist territory at times

This is more like it, thanks! I'll look into this more. The more minimal the techno, the better. Dub Techno after all is a sub-genre of Minimal Techno. Basically minimal techno with dub elements.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
Neither, Rhythm of Snow, actually
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah yes. Somehow I always found that record not quite the deal. But hey, opinions opinions :)

Some more huge-ness by Vainqueur. Such warm sound. Outstanding!

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 34
A friend sent me this thread, i run www.dubtechnoblog.com and hope i can share with you some of this music i love, i always like to find other fans of this music on the internet.

I will list just a few random tracks that will hopefully help you to discover more, once you know where to look it will be easy to find what you are looking for

First ill post one of my fav tunes ever, and easily my favourite dub techno track of all time, i cant begin to describe what this track does to me, get it on a good system and prepared to be taken away

Gas - Konigsforst LP is amazing  here are a few tracks from it

This one is simply amazing -

Textural Being

Organon is probably my favourite producer at the moment for the more 'ambient' style of dub techno

Quantec - pure brilliance this man

Christoph Schindling - such a varied producer, currently producing more glitchy idm stuff but his older dub techno stuff is superb

hopefully that should give you somewhere to start

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 34
The Coldest Season. Oh, wait. Anyway, I've only got some echocord stuff, a lot of Vladislav Delay (some of it borders dub techno)  and Yagya so I'll go check out the others posted here.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 34
This is interesting timing, I just discovered The Coldest Season myself! I wouldn't exactly call it Dub Techno but you can try an album called The Invisible Insurrection by Desolate. There is also an album called K by Donato Dozzy. I'm not sure I would class this as Dub Techno either but it's certainly in a similar vein. Fingers in the noise make some great tracks as well, which you can find on their Soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/fitn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back