Ambience
Feb 12, 2006 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

IHaveNoSpaceBar

100+ Head-Fier
Ambience is usually what I listen to, right now I am listening to Afterlife, they are sorta like chemical brothers. I noticed that good ambience or chill beats is hard to come by. Which is why I alternate and sometimes listen to jazz or some trance, especially vocal trance.

If you listen to that type of music, suggest me some artist and song names.

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 11
How about Amon Tobin, Amorphous Androgynous, Bill Laswell, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, Coil, Future Sounds of London, Mouse on Mars, System 7, and woob. Just a few of the mid-90's ambient artists I remember.

Man, I really need to buy some new music.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm not sure if you're looking for "true" ambience or more of a hybrid. You may have already heard of these guys, but in any events here are my favorites.

Shpongle My favorite album is Tales of the Inexpressible. (On emusic.com)
Future Sound of London My favorite is Lifeforms. There other albums are a totally different creature.

Carbon Based Lifeforms Hydroponic Garden (On emusic.com)
Steve Roach Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces
Jonn Serrie Planetary Chronicles. (On emusic.com)
Thom Brennan Secret Faiths Of Salamanders. (On emusic.com)
Byron Metcalf Wachuma's Wave. (On emusic.com)
Brian Eno The Shutov Assembly (On emusic.com) and Ambient 4: On Land.

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 11
I very highly recommend Fahrenheit Project, they are fantastic compilation. I'm right now a bit addicted to part 4 and 5
biggrin.gif
You can check out all the samples on psyshop.com just search for the title. Great stuff.

Feb 12, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 11
http://www.ambient.us btw it's called "ambient" music...check that site out...lot of good stuff and http://www.interchill.com and since you say you venture off into jazz and other chillout-like stuff try this http://www.proplerychilled.com and definitely check out some bill laswell (i'm bias...he's my favorite) and there's also solar fields, aes dana, h.u.v.a. network, steve roach etc etc you'll start to realize that there's quite a bit of ambient music out there...just gotta find the right people, sources, sites etc if you need additonal help or something feel free to PM me...i can show you more or try and lead you to more

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Some suggestions of ambient-electronics with a beat

Spinner -- Brian Eno and Jah Wobble: Bassist Jah Wobble adds his bass and sound processing to the basic tracks by Eno: a quite eclectic and enjoyable collaboration

Patashnik -- Biosphere: more "popsy" and less cold than other works by Biosphere, but his Nordic signature is still there.

Orblivion -- The Orb: probably the best thing from them to date: wonderfully imaginative sound palatte mixed with an irrelevant, warped sense of humor. If you like singing, then go for Cydonia, although musically it is not as strong as Orblivion.

Steve Roach has many styles: early works like Empetus features "Berlin-School" sequencer rhythms. In some fairly recent works (Light Fantasic, Body Electric, Blood Machine) he uses what he called "Fractal Grooves" -- grooved generated with fractal algorithms. However, Roach is more famous for his works with tribal rhythms, such as Earth Island and Early Man.

Black Marble and Sweet Fire -- Al Gromer Khan: classy electroambient take on Indian music.

Cobalt Blue -- Michael Brook: very rhythmic soundscapes with processed electric guitar. The Eno brothers collaborates on the album.

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
Some of this stuff is really good, thanks for ur comments.

greatest name and greatest avatar, i saw this right now haha AWESOME

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler
greatest name and greatest avatar, i saw this right now haha AWESOME

lol thanks that means a lot to me.

Anyone hear a song called "sleep at the swamp" by Potlach? really good stuff, check it out.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 11
I really like Ulver's ambient EPs, Silence Teaches You How to Sing and Silencing the Singing--both of which were combined onto one disc as Teachings in Silence. As you can guess from the names, they're not particularly loud.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 11
i'm a big fan of Mouse on Mars.

their most ambient album is probably Instrumentals, but all of their albums are great... quirky, glitchy electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back