AMB m3 (m cubed) Build
Sep 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

VelictAF

New Head-Fier
If anyone had the ....disadvantage of reading my o2 amp fail... here is something that made me feel better, and might make the DIY Customs feel better, too.

I have successfully built the AMB m3! And oh my, does it sound so, so good.

So, as you can see I have quite a mess all around this build, and it isn't mounted yet. I'm using a sheet if silicon underneath the PCB for shorting protection. Also, even without a ground connected to the volume knob the unit is super quiet.

I'm impressed with the bass boost option and I love it. *Hooray, no need for equalizer!*

I tested a variety of music from k-pop to melodic technical metal.

Op Amp AD744JNZ: Highs are way to sharp with this installed, and the bass boost didn't seem as noticeable.

Op Amp OPA627AP: Best bass, less treble (not a fan of treble) darker sounding.

Also, I effed up the pins on the AD744JNZ while trying to remove them. What's the easiest way to remove OPAMPS? These little guys get expensive! Not a big deal, but I don't want to ruin others in the future.

A 15 USD monster, and I love it.

Printed out the Technical order from the AMB Site, two pages per page front and back and laminated and laminated the silk screens for the m3 and sigma 11.

I'll build the sigma 11 some other time.

OP smoke of success with eyebrows.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 7
Haha, wow of all things I didn't include pictures of the chassis. It's from Mouser. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1455T2202BKvirtualkey54600000virtualkey546-1455T2202BK with plastic end caps.

Also, I can't live without this stuff! This is the same silicon material they use to make cannon plug seals. Waterproof, heatproof, hell even epoxy won't stick to it. Much better than mylar because mylar becomes brittle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MAJ18A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already cut in some holes for the headphone jack and rca jacks / switch.... But i'm waiting for my dremel kit to come in. (My job said I can't do anymore personal projects while at work...)

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 7
First Of all how much did it cost you to get all the parts ?

Seeing all this gets my head spinning.
You know somewhere I can find a detail guide ?

I know this may sound stupid but is this all I need or where can I get the list of all the parts needed

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 7
  First Of all how much did it cost you to get all the parts ?

Seeing all this gets my head spinning.
You know somewhere I can find a detail guide ?

I know this may sound stupid but is this all I need or where can I get the list of all the parts needed

Ti Kan (the guy behind AMB) stocks some of the harder to find parts (matched transistors and the like), along with the custom boards (and sometimes custom panels) for his designs. However, the parts he sells are not enough to complete the project. Go to amb.org, click on the M3 amp and read through everything. All parts needed are listed there. He sometimes lists part numbers for digikey & mouser, or if you go on the AMB forums people sometime have BOMs up that you can just use straight up.

If you're new to the DIY thing, I might suggest instead doing the CK2III as that is a little bit easier to build (the power supply is on the same board.) Additionally, join the AMB forums and ask questions there - there are a lot of helpful people on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back