AMB Labs M3 Amp Versus Competition
Mar 12, 2016 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Speed-Freak

New Head-Fier
Greetings Head-Fi'ers,

Way back in 2010 I purchased a Rockhopper built AMB M3 amp. Details of the amp here
Fast forward 6 years and I am wondering how my amp compares to current models. I upgraded to a new DAC and found it better than what I had been using that cost three times as much. Curiosity asks if there is an opportunity for an upgrade in amplification as well. I listen to hard rock, metal, and electronic music. At the time the M3 was highly recommended based on my musical taste.

M3 versus O2 Amp?
M3 versus Schiit Asgard 2?

Sorry for your wallet!

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 12
  Greetings Head-Fi'ers,

Way back in 2010 I purchased a Rockhopper built AMB M3 amp. Details of the amp here
Fast forward 6 years and I am wondering how my amp compares to current models. I upgraded to a new DAC and found it better than what I had been using that cost three times as much. Curiosity asks if there is an opportunity for an upgrade in amplification as well. I listen to hard rock, metal, and electronic music. At the time the M3 was highly recommended based on my musical taste.

M3 versus O2 Amp?
M3 versus Schiit Asgard 2?

Sorry for your wallet!

A Rockhopper M3 compared to those amps?  You gotta be kidding.  Here's something from as late as last summer that you might enjoy reading:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katz%E2%80%99s-corner-episode-7-mosfet-magic

One would also note that generally speaking, an M3 is probably quieter than a B22.  IMHO, your only real option for improvement would be to pursue tubes.  That wouldn't provide a better option in terms of performance, but the listening with certain headphones may improve.  In any event, it sort of shows the value of DIY.  You will obtain better, longer-lasting performance through DIY selections than most commercial offerings.  My view is biased, of course, but people like Bob Katz keep confirming it.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 12
Thank you TomB,

That was the kind of recent comparison I was not able to find on my own. Perhaps opamp changes can fend of the upgradeitis that I have brewing inside me.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Anyone else have any thoughts on how the M3 compares to other solid state amps? Not sure if it's a case of insufficient brain burn in time, but right now I'm not loving the M3 with my he-560s, and I'm looking for an SS amp with similar/better quality and a different sound signature to try. Anyone have any recommendations?

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 12
i made a m3 for me some time ago and it is a good amp but nothing that get me excited. if you into diy audio make a krell ksa5 clone with the pcb from kevin gilmore, i made 3 of it because other friends wanted one to. look at the ksa5 thread at head-case. the sound is natural, dynamic with great bass extension, not harsh, like class a gear from pass labs or krell, on of the best solide state amps for headphones when you ask me. you may try a finished chinese clone but look that it has the pcb from kevin gilmore, zero zone has a good build. best to build one yourself with good parts.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 12
Anyone else have any thoughts on how the M3 compares to other solid state amps? Not sure if it's a case of insufficient brain burn in time, but right now I'm not loving the M3 with my he-560s, and I'm looking for an SS amp with similar/better quality and a different sound signature to try. Anyone have any recommendations?

Have you tried changing opamps in your M3? It changes the sound a bit. I usually have 3x OPA627 in, but sometimes change to OPA1641 for a while (on Browndog adapter) because they sound a bit warmer and have more forward mids. 
I think there is an opamp thread on head-fi, you could ask around which opamps would match your preferred sound signature.
Make sure the quiescent current is set correctly for each channel, as per AMB instructions page.

It is also fun to swap out the resistors and cap responsible for the bass boost feature, for example to get maximum bass extension but without bass becoming thunderous. See http://elvencraft.com/mmm/ to get the right values.

These mods are cheap and can get you the sound you're looking for! 

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Apr 9, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 12
Own a quality M3 and put the Jotunheim up alongside it a few months back. Performed about equally, although I preferred the character of the M3 slightly more. More "organic" as far as buzzwords go, at least with ADA 4627-1 op amps installed. Significant improvement over the default OPA627, although it was several years ago that I heard an M3 with those op amps. Found the latter too warm relative to the HeadAmp GS-1 (i.e. dynalo) that I had around that time.

Bear in mind that the M3 will benefit significantly from the Sigma 11 power supply. Definitely takes it up a notch, as opposed to running off a wall wart.

If you don't find yourself itching for balanced output, it seems that it would be difficult to do much better than a beefy M3 built by a reputable DIYer. Even a pricier build acquits itself nicely against comparatively priced options. But the Jotunheim is a great commercial alternative with a useful feature set, especially if one listens to sensitive IEMs at their desktop. The Jot's gain stage was much better suited for that task, at least compared to this M3 in particular.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 12
  Owned both a quality M3 and the Jotunheim at the same time a few months back. Performed about equally, although I preferred the character of the M3 slightly more. More "organic" as far as buzzwords go, at least with ADA 4627-1 op amps installed. Significant improvement over the default OPA627, although it was several years ago that I heard an M3 with those op amps. Found the latter too warm relative to the HeadAmp GS-1 (i.e. dynalo) that I had around that time.

Bear in mind that the M3 will benefit significantly from the Sigma 11 power supply. Definitely takes it up a notch, as opposed to running off a wall wart.

If you don't find yourself itching for balanced output, it seems that it would be difficult to do much better than a beefy M3 built by a reputable DIYer. Even a pricier build acquits itself nicely against comparatively priced options. But the Jotunheim is a great commercial alternative with a useful feature set, especially if one listens to sensitive IEMs at their desktop. The Jot's gain stage was much better suited for that task, at least compared to this M3 in particular.

Was your comparison of the M3 to the Jot including a Sigma11? Right now I still have my trusty Elpac 

Thanks

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 12
  Was your comparison of the M3 to the Jot including a Sigma11?

Yes, the M3 runs from a Sigma 11. The quiescent current bias is also higher than usual (around 140mA) which reduces distortion in the MOSFET output stage. Ventilated chassis and larger heatsinks ensure that temps are kept safely in line. Can't speak to the audible difference in linearity between different current bias settings, but this M3 sounds wonderfully transparent and conspicuously lacking in sonic artifacts common to solid-state amps.

That said, the Jotunheim is outstanding. And its performance is assured, whereas the M3 is partly subject to the talent and sensibilities of its builder. That's worth reiterating. Also, the Jot supplies considerably more wattage, especially from its balanced output. Worth keeping in mind if you possess demanding, less sensitive headphones such as the HE-6.

PS: Should add that I did not build this M3 myself, having instead purchased it secondhand. 
redface.gif
 My own technical know-how is vanishingly near to zilch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back