AMB beta22 - hum issue, no idea where it comes from
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sathimas

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I just finished my one-case 2ch beta 22 and have some annoying hum on the output.
Also with the volume turned down completely there's some kind of hiss.

I followed AMBs wiring scheme correctly I think...

The RCA-jacks have no contact to the case and are isolated from each other.

If I have only connected the inputs to the boards (no ps-connection)
(RCA In/G -> Alps pot -> board)
there's no connection between the boards ground and case-ground

Here's all the wiring concerning the s22/power

2x V+/G/V- -> ß22 boards
G (s22) -> Neutrik locking jack
G (s22) -> GLB -> encloruse (bottom)

AC ground -> enclosure (bottom)

AC ground an GLB are not connected to the same point

When I measure betwenn the s22 ground and AC ground I get 10 ohms,
as is resistor value of the GLB is 10ohm. Same reading from the body
of the neutrik jack to the sleeve contact.

Where's the mistake?

lu68-37-9563.jpg

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 9
I can't address your hiss, but that toroid looks as if it's close enough to be touching the Sigma 22 board. You'd be much better off turning the Sigma 22 board 90 degrees and move it up as close to the front of the case as you can get. That will maximize the separation distance between the toroid and the Sigma 22 board. I could be wrong, but those heat sinks could be acting like huge antennas for the flux around the toroid and reflecting that into the amp as 50-60 Hz hum.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Try:
a] Connect the Safety Ground to the chassis near the IEC receptacle.
b] Connect both RCA jacks to the chassis.
c] Connect the DC supply common to the chassis very near the RCA jacks.
d] Connect the audio circuit common to that same point as the DC supply common.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Even though the transformer is fairly far away from your amp boards it might be the cause of some of the hum. I recommend turning the transformer and seeing if that increases or decreases the hum. If it does keep turning it til you get minimal hum or none at all. Also if you are using sensitive headphones it will pick up the transformer hum in a single case, at least from my experience.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Just try unscrewing the standoffs from the chassis floor and push the boards away from the transformer (not while its turn on, turn it off and wait for everything to discharge, move them, and turn it on again). See how it goes. If it works and you want better protection, look for transformer cans. Mu metal works best but they're expensive. Make sure you get a magnetic can.

**edit
power3.png

Ground loop breaker
For option 3 above, the ground loop breaker is a 10Ω 5W resistor in parallel with a 0.1µF capacitor rated at least 250VAC. For safety this capacitor should be rated for class X or Y (good for across-the-line use) with flame retardant casing. The ground loop breaker should be connected between the signal ground and the chassis (which is in turn connected to AC earth ground via the IEC power entry receptacle). Mount the resistor and capacitor in a secure manner so that it will not come loose and come into contact with other circuitry. A good way to do this is to use a terminal strip.

Have you added the 0.1uF capacitor parallel to the resistor for the ground loop breaker?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Ground loop breaker contaings the cap, of course.

I also installed Zobel networks on the outputs what helped to get rid of the hiss and
make the hum a little more quiet.

I also got a new transformer which is shielded but did not have the time
to install that yet - I'll report as soon as I've done that.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 9
Try grounding the alps pot. Wire one of the metal screws at the back of the pot to ground on the one of the boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back