AMAZON KINDLE vs SONY READERS
Nov 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If what I want mostly is a portable device to replace all my books, have a basic internet browser (when I don't have my iPhone at hand), and can read all my PDF e-books, what's the best reader out there? Should I go Kindle, or Nook?

Those are basically my requirements for an e-book reader too. From what I have read, I am still going to wait. The Kindle DX is getting close with native PDF support, but it seems the functionality of the reader leaves something to be desired. With the Kindle international version out and the DX's native PDF support, I keep thinking that the next generation should be the one with the features that I want. We'll have to wait and see though. Amazon, Sony, Barnes & Noble, all their options are missing a feature or two that I would want in my own reader so I am going to wait. Until then, I just keep hitting up the libraries.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #47 of 59
I too have a kindle and love it. The real strength of the kindle is the whole shopping ecology -- the ability to sit in bed, download a sample chapter, read it, and then buy the book without ever getting up is priceless. The other huge advantage is travelling; I can't tell you how much happier I am carrying a kindle onboard a transatlantic flight instead of three books.

The nook is interesting; I've always thought the kindle's design weakness was the physical keyboard. Normally I hate touchscreens, but in normal use one uses the keyboard to seldom it feels like wasted space, and I think a touchscreen is a much better solution. Given the flexibility of that touch screen, plus the fact that the nook runs android, if they opened up the platform to allow apps it could be a much more interesting device over the long run.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #48 of 59
FYI, the Nook does not have a web browser, which isn't a big loss since the one on my Kindle isn't all that useful. It's good for emergencies but not regular browsing. The main function of any dedicated eBook reader is to read books.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #50 of 59
FYI, Amazon has released a firmware update for the Kindle 2 this week which among other things, gives it native PDF support as well as the ability to switch to landscape mode. There is also an update for the DX. An announcement was also made that early next a year an update will be made that will give users a better way to organize the items on their Kindles, although it's not known if this is the much requested folders option or something else.

Edit: the update will be rolled out to users in phases over the next few weeks via the wireless connection or can be downloaded immediately from Amazon's website.

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #51 of 59
I have the PRS-600 and I think it's great. Hooking it up to my computer is no hassle at all. Besides it's going to take me awhile to get through the approx 2000 books I've already got on there!

Nice metal construction. Touch screen is cool, though not a priority for me. Page turns usually in less than a second. I also have the cover with the built in light which works very well. And for anyone interested I heard that a screen cover by Lexard helps with the glare. I've ordered one from Amazon so my fingers are crossed. It's not bad, but it would be nice to take a little off. The wireless is no big thing for me. It's nice to know that if I have 1984 on the Sony it will stay there.
wink.gif
I also like the extensive file support though it's good that Kindle finally added pdf.

However I never considered the Kindle for the same reason I never used itunes (apart from the sup-par recordings). I just don't like being locked into one eco-system.

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

However I never considered the Kindle for the same reason I never used itunes (apart from the sup-par recordings). I just don't like being locked into one eco-system.

But with the Sony, aren't you locked into their ecosystem in that you can't purchase books form other eBook retailers? And as for the Kindle, as with all eReaders, public domain books from other sites can be used with it.

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #53 of 59
I'm a researcher and I HATE having to carry around stacks of articles or textbooks etc. I've been waiting and waiting for just the right ebook reader. A colleague of mine keeps sending me updates on various models and he is thus far, most impressed with the PRS600. I'm still not convinced yet, and will wait until the early new year when Apple makes some announcements.

What would be awesome is some combo of e-ink and LCD or OLED screens so that in well lit enviros, the e-ink shines, but when in some dark corner of the world...the OLED gets ignited for more reading pleasure. Not sure if this is in the pipeline anywhere but I think that would be best for most, particularly students, lawyers and physicians.

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But with the Sony, aren't you locked into their ecosystem in that you can't purchase books form other eBook retailers? And as for the Kindle, as with all eReaders, public domain books from other sites can be used with it.

It's the same with all eBook retailers who sell their eBooks with DRM. You can't buy a book on B&N to use on the Kindle, nor the Sony (not yet), only the Nook, and same thing if you buy one on amazon, it'll work on the Kindle but not the Sony or Nook.

As for public domain, it depends on the format. ePub is a format that's being used more and more for public domain that isn't supported by the Kindle. However, a lot of public domain eBook sites allow you to download in many different formats.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for public domain, it depends on the format. ePub is a format that's being used more and more for public domain that isn't supported by the Kindle. However, a lot of public domain eBook sites allow you to download in many different formats.

While more retailers seem to be adopting ePub (with DRM) for eBook sales, I wouldn't say it's being used more and more for public domain. The mobi format is also very popular which the Kindle accepts natively. Also, programs like Calibre can be used to convert eBooks in other formats to the Kindle format provided they are DRM free.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #57 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While more retailers seem to be adopting ePub (with DRM) for eBook sales, I wouldn't say it's being used more and more for public domain. The mobi format is also very popular which the Kindle accepts natively. Also, programs like Calibre can be used to convert eBooks in other formats to the Kindle format provided they are DRM free.

True, that's pretty much what I meant with me message, except that I stumbled and explained it all backwards
biggrin.gif

Kindle would probably only needs a firmware upgrade to support ePub, and then it would also be able to loan eBooks from libraries.

The only thing I don't like about the ePub format is the lack of justification - which in that case, as you mentioned, Calibre becomes needed to convert to another format.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #58 of 59
You are locked into Sony for DRM content. But it supports a wider variety of formats from .txt to .pdf so you can go to other stores as well. Lots of .pdf's available so it's nice to have it supported natively. Calibre works very well, but I'd prefer to not have to convert them at all.

But I definitely agree with mark2410 in that the software is junk! Not all that hard to use but it's clunky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back