Amazon/J&R Friday sale on Senn HD600s
Dec 17, 2004 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

devwild

1000+ Head-Fier
Just thought I'd point it out so no one misses it... J&R (also sold through Amazon) has HD600's on sale today for $200
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 19
Dec 17, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by meithkiller
I may have to upgrade from my HD580's. Oh so tempting.

Keith, if you already have 580, better save your money, wait some more and go for 650. Of course I have no personal interest but ime you won't gain much going from 580 to 600. In the meantime just get the 600 grille to ease the sensation.

Um, do I sound like your wallet ?
580smile.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 19
Noooooooo!!!!! Now this makes my decision all screwed up - I was all set to buy myself a pair of AKG 271's for about that much...but these are better...but I'm not ready to pull the trigger today...but...NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
blink.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
Noooooooo!!!!! Now this makes my decision all screwed up - I was all set to buy myself a pair of AKG 271's for about that much...but these are better...but I'm not ready to pull the trigger today...but...NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
blink.gif

Get open headphones if you aren't concerned about leakage.

IME, open $200 headphones> closed $200 headphones. No comparison. You really have to get into the $400 range and above before you can start comparing the two within the same price range.

Also, IME, the difference between the HD580 and HD600 is a complete waste of money. I certainly can't distinguish them sonically...the headroom graphs agree with me...I doubt that you could, either...save $50-$70 and get some HD580s instead. That $50-$70 would be better used on an amp, power supply, source, or girlfriend/wife.

What kind of amp do you intend to run your headphones from, anyway?

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 19
Very tempting. I don't have any full size cans so been thinking about getting a pair or 2. but looks like these HD600's require the Cardas cable and $350 total is quite a bit...

--Andrew

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 19
I was hoping to run unamped, at least for a while. I wanted to keep my total expenditure as small as possible, so I was gonna go with the K271's, which from my audition don't seem to *require* an amp. I may build a Pimeta, depending on how much time I have and whether or not I can get some help with it.

I actually am kind of concerned about leakage, as I wear my headphones pretty much everywhere. Inside, outside, at the library, on mass transit...I'd rather save the people around me from sharing in my musical experience. That, and my roommates are loud.

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 19
Just ordered one, thanks! I was going to go down to JandR to pick up a pair of HD580 but this was only a little more so I said what the heck
evil_smiley.gif
Should be arriving in a week.

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 19
They are sold out darn. I have HD650's and I would have bought a pair. But then again I'm just crazy like that. Actually this was the price I got them at last year but with an additional $25 rebate.
evil_smiley.gif

Those that hesitated missed out is all I can say (and the requires Cardas cabling is bogus).

edit: nm seems some are available again

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
They are sold out darn. I have HD650's and I would have bought a pair. But then again I'm just crazy like that. Actually this was the price I got them at last year but with an additional $25 rebate.
evil_smiley.gif

Those that hesitated missed out is all I can say (and the requires Cardas cabling is bogus).

edit: nm seems some are available again

I just put one in my cart and it shows as available to ship in ~4 days. Looks like they still have few at $199.99.

Dec 17, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 19
I know the screen you're talking about, but after you put your address, it'll say they're sold out.

Dec 17, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCnphones
I know the screen you're talking about, but after you put your address, it'll say they're sold out.

Ah, didn't take it far enough. Thanks. Sort of miss mine since selling but on to bigger and hopefully better experiences with other cans.

Dec 17, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 19
I just put in and completed my order I *think*. I'll see if it actually goes through. Will be fun to compare using the 2 jacks of the Grace 901 besides just using memory and gut. I have some Philips HP1000 coming in to try as well. I really don't like putting wear and tear on my headphone jacks or plugs to switch amps, so I just buy the extra phones to fill the spot.

Dec 17, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 19
Well, you can find hd600's for $200. They're refurbs, but usual apply for the Senn warranty.
I know ecost.com has them. Figuring how to put them in your cart is a pain though.
Also try searching froogle.google.com
Man, wish I had the cash when Todd was offering the 650 refurbs for 300 even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back