Amazon gift card, yay! Cans @ $50? Help, please! :)
Jul 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

iforget

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I tried to skim that newbie guide. Hopefully you won't yell at me for this thread, heh.

I'm currently rocking some... "eh"... Maxwell Noise Canceling headphones.
Amazon.com: Maxell Noise-Cancellation Headphones: Electronics
They're not too great. Don't really <3 that battery pack in the cord. The left ear is kinda going out.

So, I am willing to blow $50 or so - hopefully at Amazon! - on a new pair.

I would like noise cancellation that is effective on planes.

I listen to almost everything.
Beatles, System of a Down, Nirvana, Death Cab for Cutie, MOVITS!...
Techno, Alternative, HardcoreISH stuff but no screamo or real metal.
Hardly any classical.

I won't be wearing glasses while using them.
I have a large head, sometimes using Large or XL hats.
The Maxwells I have fit pretty comfortably.

I think I want the closed around ear type. Worst thing seems to be sweating, but it's manageable.

I have an Apple iPod Touch 2G 16GB. I also watch TV shows on it. Don't want an amplifier.

Silver or black would be the best colors, I bet. No pink, OK?
biggrin.gif

So, what can ya do me for?

Thanks!

-iforget

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 21
Is $50 your max? Or can you spend a little more?

If you want noise “cancellation”, you’d be better off getting closed-headphones…that leaves out the Grados…probably best for what you listen to (mainly rock)

I think you’d be best off with a pair of entry Beyerdynamics…

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is $50 your max? Or can you spend a little more?

$55 is what I'd like to hit, shipped. $100 can get me great stuff, I know, but it's too much for me.

Quote:

If you want noise “cancellation”, you’d be better off getting closed-headphones…that leaves out the Grados…probably best for what you listen to (mainly rock)

Need some sort of cancellation for flights.

Quote:

I think you’d be best off with a pair of entry Beyerdynamics…

I can't find any @ $50 or so, you have a model number handy?

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 21
You may want to consider in-ear monitors/earphones (those one with the gel/foam tips). For your budget, you can get the NuForce NE-7 which are supposedly great for rock, as they're pretty clear and have plenty of bass.

Full-size headphones, you're not going to find what you're looking for with decent audio. With your budget, some things that come to mind are maybe the JVC RX-700 (or 900), Koss PortaPro/Sportapro/KSC-75, Or maybe some Sennheiser Px-100. If you can stretch your budget out a little more, NuForce released full sized headphones called the UF-30, which are a little over budget (about $63 minus shipping).

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 21
Jul 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Closed phones with good isolation will do what you want just as well as noise canceling, and will give you much better sound quality for the price. Try a pair of the outstanding ATH-M40s for $60.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Jul 7, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A post that actually answers the OP's needs... impressive.

L3000.gif
i can read!
i know what its like to have airplane engines roaring for hours. even iems cant drown them out well. theres a reason lots of travelers have expensive active noise cancelling headphones

for the op- i can put these on and stand in front of a running washer and dryer and the noise is 90% gone when i flip the noise cancelling switch

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000.gif
i can read!
i know what its like to have airplane engines roaring for hours. even iems cant drown them out well. theres a reason lots of travelers have expensive active noise cancelling headphones

for the op- i can put these on and stand in front of a running washer and dryer and the noise is 90% gone when i flip the noise cancelling switch

Wow, awesome! That's what I like to read!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait a bit. Next week, Shure's coming out with some new sets of headphones. One's priced at what you're asking for, around 49.99. Should be the best quality for that price.

Very cool! I will def wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a page I should bookmark today so I can check daily?

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A post that actually answers the OP's needs... impressive.

A rare occurence at head-fi. Why do people still come here with questions, anyway?
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 21
OK, so I found the Shure SRH240. Head-Fi's "jude" bets they'll retail for $59.99. Other sites say around $95/$115 USD, though. One site said July 9, another says they'll begin shipping July 15.
Guess I'll have to wait a bit more for concrete details from here:
Shure - Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back