Amazon.com Letdown - Need Help Buying Cans
Jan 25, 2007 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gawain

New Head-Fier
My Sony MDR-33s are trashed. Decided to buy new cans and after my research here (Head-Fi) I decided on MDR-V6s. I ordered a pair 1-19-07 from amazon.com and since it's the 25th and no cans I decided to try and track down my order.

After about an hours work, I discovered that my cans were backordered by "Etronics" (A store which provides stuff for amazon I guess). After another 30 minutes I find out they have the order but NO MDR-V6s. They are on back order and they don't know when they might come in.

MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED 1-19-07!
mad.gif
I didn't think they could charge your credit card if they didn't have the goods to ship.

Anyway, so now I'm looking for a honest supplier. Anyone know where I could go to buy Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506? ..... or, a substitute model or brand with an honest supplier?

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gawain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sony MDR-33s are trashed. Decided to buy new cans and after my research here (Head-Fi) I decided on MDR-V6s. I ordered a pair 1-19-07 from amazon.com and since it's the 25th and no cans I decided to try and track down my order.

After about an hours work, I discovered that my cans were backordered by "Etronics" (A store which provides stuff for amazon I guess). After another 30 minutes I find out they have the order but NO MDR-V6s. They are on back order and they don't know when they might come in.

MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED 1-19-07!
mad.gif
I didn't think they could charge your credit card if they didn't have the goods to ship.

Anyway, so now I'm looking for a honest supplier. Anyone know where I could go to buy Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506? ..... or, a substitute model or brand with an honest supplier?

I wouldn't say that Amazon was completely at fault here. As the website expanded, it became not only a primary supplier, but also a middle-man for lesser known businesses that otherwise would have relatively few customers. Amazon.com will always tell you which supplier your ordering from in the product listing, and then its up to you to decide whether or not you trust them. My suggestion is not to ditch Amazon just yet, but instead look for another company besides E-Tronics to buy from.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 17
I don't know if it's just my state law, but as I understand it, most places can charge your card up to 30 days (one billing cycle) before shipment, but not longer than that.

Many of us have dealt with eTronics. There have been some bad experiences, but mostly positive. I've had no problem with them with phones or camera equipment. Nevertheless this isn't an Amazon issue at all. I don't agree with your "honest" characterization either, but you may try Fry's. They had V6s last I looked.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 17
E-tronics told me that amazon.com billed my card before they knew if e-tronics had the merchandise or not. AND, it might have stated before I purchased my cans that they were farming out my order to a third party but I don't remember it.

You would think someone would let me know.

I think amazon.com bares final responsibility. It was amazon.com who charged my credit card.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 17
did you see if there was a "ships in x weeks/days" small text below the price?
I had the same issue with a cd recently, when I called them up, they were like "please look at the text below the price, it states, ships in 3 to 5 weeks"

I asked them why they would charge me for two day shipping if they cannot ship the damn thing for 3-5 weeks and they replied "two day shipping guarantees that you will get it within 2 days after 3-5 weeks"

err...
:|

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 17
Unless a policy has changed, Amazon doesn't outsource orders. As mentioned by others there are Amazon "partners" that sell through Amazon and identify themselves during the process. Those orders don't even qualify for free shipping, etc. I don't currently see eTronics selling V6s through Amazon, but Full Compass, etc. does. Maybe there was a screw up in processing? Gawain have you called Amazon? If you're interested their top secret number it's 800.201.7575.

As for the two day shipping with items on backordered, jilgiljongiljing you have ordered items on the web before, right? This is common. And some people may request expedited shipping especially when something is already delayed.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the top secret number BlessingX..... that was another problem I had with amazon.com, you can't talk to a real person. But now that I've got the number...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks everyone.... I was upset because I was anxiously awaiting my cans like a 16 year old waiting for his first date...
wink.gif

By the way... I'm 52.

Thanks everyone!!! I ordered from Frys.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless a policy has changed, Amazon doesn't outsource orders. As mentioned by others there are Amazon "partners" that sell through Amazon and identify themselves during the process. Those orders don't even qualify for free shipping, etc. I don't currently see eTronics selling V6s through Amazon, but Full Compass, etc. does. Maybe there was a screw up in processing? Gawain have you called Amazon? If you're interested their top secret number it's 800.201.7575.

As for the two day shipping with items on backordered, jilgiljongiljing you have ordered items on the web before, right? This is common. And some people may request expedited shipping especially when something is already delayed.

Might I inquire as to who would pick up if I were to call this number?

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might I inquire as to who would pick up if I were to call this number?

Jimmy Hoffa.

... or the customer service department. It's an unlisted number that's been passed around the web. The customer service department numbers are printed on some documentation, but not on the site, etc. Bad policy IMO.

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 17
i ordered my hd595's on the 15th of this month (with standard shipping) and still have yet to receive them. >=0

but that's "OK" if they come in the next 2 days... i just cant wait =)

Jan 25, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #14 of 17
I certainly have the Head-Fi "Sorry Wallet Syndrome" partly as a result of Amazon and its various third-party partners, and I can say that the Amazon "umbrella" will provide you with a certain degree of consumer protection. Just this week I promptly received (on behalf of a friend who doesn't have a computer) a pair of V-Moda Vibes from Etronics through Amazon's third-party "Marketplace" program. It's an unfortunate situation for you (I realize that once you had decided to pull the trigger you wanted your merchandise *right now*), but I wouldn't blast either party for this. Also, it's occasionally *really* frustrating that Amazon doesn't have an "advertized" number to call, but that's one way they're able to run a surprisingly effective operation, I suppose ...

PS: May the Head-Fi gods help you if you have to return anything to Fry's ... but that applies anywhere, I guess ... they certainly do have a vast selection of stuff and pretty good prices.

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gawain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the top secret number BlessingX..... that was another problem I had with amazon.com, you can't talk to a real person.
Thanks everyone!!! I ordered from Frys.

Of course you can talk to a real person. Hell, Amazon make's it so easy that they call YOU.

There's a box on the lower right hand side of almost every help page that says "Contact Us" and gives you the choice to email customer service or have amazon call you (I've used this 3-4 times and they always call within 1 minute of inputting the phone #)

I use the "shipping rates" page under the help section most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back