Amazon CD Player
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21
I've got a crapload of amazon gift cards. I want to replace my cd player. wondering if you guys have any recommendations for single cd players carried on amazon. I was looking at the marantz 5003 (cant find the 5001), or maybe a cambridge audio deck? any other audiophile recommendations for under 600ish bills? I ask this as well because there is not a lot of info on some of the decks on the forums here. maybe thats a sign. we'll see what you say.
popcorn.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 21
I think the Marantz 5003 would be a spectacular deck for the price. With the rest of your money, buy some great music!!

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Onkyo 7555 maybe? There have been some mixed reviews on the 5003 if I remember correctly.

I had heard this as well. maybe not bad reviews, but they were definitely not as strong reviews as the 5001 got. I was thinking some of this might be attributed to burn in, but I'm not sure. I also looked at some of the onkyo, but I can find little to no info on them. It just seems so unlikely that marantz would make the 5003 inferior to the 5001. unless of course they got cocky and are trying to run by reputation only. either way, have you experience with the onkyo?

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 21
Hey Man.. CD Players are so 80's Man.. You need to get up to the 21st Century and get a Squeezebox: Amazon.com: Logitech Squeezebox Duet Network Music System: Electronics

All you need is an existing computer with a big hard drive, rip all your cds to FLAC format and you'll get better sound and more convenience than anything but a very high end cdplayer.. You could even get a low budget reman'd pc to run as a dedicated music server for $200 and still have money left over..

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Man.. CD Players are so 80's Man.. You need to get up to the 21st Century and get a Squeezebox:

You also need an external dac as well for it to compete in terms of sound. Plus you're music has to be ripped to your computer. I'll be sticking with my computer as a source though, just not with a squeezebox as I have no need for it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 21
double post

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 21
I have the Onkyo and to my ears it sounds very balanced.
Great build quality, the only thing I don't like is the power cord is non detachable.
Still the one it does come with is fine, ive had no problems.
The Marantz has cd text which is a feature I wish the Onkyo had, but the Onkyo has a Wolfson DAC.

Heres a link with some good info.
Onkyo DX-7555 CD Player

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey blue, have you heard the 5003? or are you just a marantz fan in general?

Took a look in the store once, like it. Why? Did you listen to it and not like it?

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took a look in the store once, like it.

You're recommending a product you haven't even used?

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were it my 500 bills, I'd take a look here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're recommending a product you haven't even used?

I should have said "If it were my 500 bills"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back